Union Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal on Monday held a meeting with top leadership of Coal and Power Sector to ensure consolidation of coal business of Railways and suggest ways and means to further improve the joint operational productivity of Railways, Coal and power sector concerning Coal Freight.
- It may be noted that Coal accounts for almost 50% of freight of Railways.
- Last year the total loading was.587 Million Tonnes.
- Out of total freight of 1210 MTs.
- Speaking on the occasion, Shri PiyushGoyal said that Railways was making relentless efforts in the field of boosting freight loading and there was no scope of any slippages on any front.
- The Minister called for coordinated operations among Railways, Coal and Power entities to ensure maximum mutual growth of all the three sectors namely Railways, Power and Coal.
- It may be noted that in a remarkable turn around, in September 2020, Indian Railways earned Rs. 9896.86 crores from freight loading which is also Rs. 1180.57 crores higher compare to last year’s earnings for the same period (Rs. 8716.29 crores).
- The increase in freight revenue is 13.54%.
- There is a great a potential to further enhance loading of coal.
- An increase in coal loading will have a significant positive impact on railways freight revenues.
- Railways are now going all out to overtake last year figures on a cumulative basis as well in spite of covid related challenges and long lock downs.
- Freight loading in September 2020 is 15.3 % more than last year for the same period.
- Slew of efforts like more than 25 policy initiatives, formation of Business Development Units at zonal levels, running both specialised parcel & kisan trains and better all round monitoring is ensuring the growth.
- Number of concessions/discounts are also being given in Indian Railways to make Railways Freight movement very attractive.
- Coal accounts for almost 50% of its freight.
Freight Development Portal Launched:
Indian Railways has been taking multifarious efforts to boost freight and Parcel traffic, aimed to serve the freight customer, better. For this, the newly launched Freight Business Development (FBD) Portal by Indian Railways will render a one stop solution for freight/Parcel customers.
- With more than 4000 Freight Terminals served by more than 3,00,000 wagons, hauled by more than 12,500 Locomotives, carrying 1667 types of Commodities, Indian Railways, are the backbone of logistics sector of the country and is certainly the Lifeline of the Nation, carrying more than 1.2 Billion tonnes of freight traffic every year over 68000 km of Rail network.
- With its very wide network touching almost every nook and corner of the country, Indian Railways plays a crucial role in facilitating a balanced and inclusive socio economic development of the country, carrying almost all commodities including bulk commodities like Coal, Iron ore, Iron & Steel, Food grains, Cement, Petroleum products, Fertilizer, containers and others.
- During the recent Covid Lockdown, Indian Railways played a crucial role in Freight movement getting essential commodities across long distances and ensuring the availability of food grains and essential items.
- With more than 4,000 registered customers and with 1300 E-Payment Customers, Indian Railways has emerged as the most friendly mode of land transportation, especially for freight and cargo as Indian Railway with the recently introduced advance parcel booking and Time tabled trains, has ensured the most competitive means for transportation and timely delivery of cargo.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit: MoR