Railways acquires 47% land for Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train project

The Indian Railways has acquired 47% of the land for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed rail project and the rest of the 53% of land required for the project will be acquired in next 6 months, an official said. The work of acquiring the land is in advanced stage and it will be available for the project soon, he said.

More Information:

  • “Till date 47 per cent of the land has been acquired for the 508-km long Ahmedabad-Mumbai high speed rail project, and rest of the 53 per cent will be acquired in next six months,” Chairman Railway Board (CRB) V.K. Yadav said.
  • A total of 1,380 hectare land is required for the high speed train project, out of which railways has acquired 479 hectare from the private persons and 119 hectare from government land, he said.
  • Once the 90% of land is acquired, 6 out of 29 tender packages for the project will be out in the month of March and April this year.
  • The CRB also stressed that the National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) will be able to complete the project before its deadline of December 2023.
  • The project will be completed in three phases and the first phase of 50 km stretch will be completed by August 2022, he said.
  • A 21-km-long tunnel will be dug between Boisar and BKC in Mumbai, 7 km of which will be under the sea, as per the official.
  • The mainline also has one mountain tunnel of around 280 metre, 24 river crossings and 30 road and canal crossings.
  • The bullet trains are expected to run at 350 kmph covering the 508 km stretch in around 2 hours.
  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe on September 14, 2017 laid the foundation stone of the ambitious Rs 1.08 lakh crore ($17 billion) project.
  • Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the Union Railway Ministry have inked a MoU for the 508-km corridor, with Japan to partially fund the project.