Works of redevelopment of Habibganj Railway station in West Central Railway and Gandhinagar Railway station in Western Railway are in advanced stage of completion. Works for redevelopment of Gomti Nagar (Northern Railway) and Ayodhya (Northern Railway) stations are in progress.
- Station redevelopment projects are mostly taken up on Public Private Participation (PPP) mode.
- Request for Qualification (RFQ) have been finalized for 08 stations viz., Nagpur, Amritsar, Sabarmati, Gwalior, Puducherry, Tirupati, Nellore and Dehradun.
- RFQ have been invited for 03 stations viz., New Delhi, Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) and Ernakulam.
- Ministry of Railways have signed instruments of cooperation (Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) /Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC)/Protocol/Agreement) with a number of countries including Czech Republic, France, Germany, Japan, Russia, South Korea and United Arab Emirates (UAE) wherein station redevelopment has been identified as an area of cooperation.
Redevelopment of New Delhi railway station:
Meanwhile, Redevelopment of New Delhi railway station has been taken up on Public Private Partnership mode. Cost of the project is estimated as Rs. 5000 crores. The facilities proposed include:
- Congestion free non-conflicting entry/exit to the station premises
- Segregation of arrival/departure of passengers
- Adequate concourse area without overcrowding
- Integration of both sides of the city, integration with other modes of transport systems e.g. Bus, Metro, etc.
- User friendly international signage
- Well illuminated circulating area
- Sufficient provision for drop off, pick up & parking etc.
Request for Qualification (RFQ) has been opened on 02.02.2021.
- Station redevelopment is planned by leveraging real estate potential of sparable land and air space in and around stations, inviting private participation.
- For this, the Railway conducts techno-economic feasibility studies of stations across the country.
- Based on the outcome of these feasibility studies, stations are taken up for redevelopment in phases.
- Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, New Bhuj, Sabarmati, Surat and Udhna railway stations have been identified for redevelopment in the State of Gujarat.
- Works are at an advanced stage of completion at Gandhinagar.
- RFQ has been finalized for Sabarmati station.
- RFQ for Surat and Udhna stations have been submitted to the Public Private Partnership Appraisal Committee (PPPAC), Ministry of Finance, for appraisal.
- Detailed Project Report for Ahmedabad and New Bhuj are at various stages of preparation.
- This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Commerce & Industry and Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Shri Piyush Goyal in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha on 12 Feb 2021.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit: IRSDC