Author : Mr. Chandan Kumar P
As a Rail engineer with impressive 10+ years working experience in Rolling Stock + Signalling, Design Engineering, Verification & Validation, System Specification, Testing & Commissioning, Maintenance, Modifications, Troubleshooting for various projects
The refurbishment of rolling stock at end of nominal life, including the risks and opportunities of life extension beyond initial design life. Metros have been gaining increasingly significant benefits through refurbishment, and many metros are now undertaking or planning refurbishments due to ageing fleets that are approaching or past their initial design lives. These refurbishment programs are designed to extend additional initial design life by as much as 15-20 years.
Extending the life of old vehicles either by upgrading their systems or by creating new designs. Old technology equipment is replaced with advanced technical solutions. This ensures that refurbished vehicles achieve improved reliability and availability levels.
Image Credit : MCF
Objective of refurbishment :
- Extension of the vehicle service life.
- Improved reliability of the vehicle fitted with new equipment.
- Improved vehicle functionality, by installing new technologies.
- Improved vehicle comfort, through new interior equipment.
- Revamped look of vehicle appearance.
- Overhaul of different sub-systems such as bogies, doors, etc.
- Redesign of interior components and look aspects
“Refurbishment of the Metro cars includes the below activities”
Image Credit : Indian Railways
- Disassembly of all the equipment.
- Identification and separation of the components to be refurbished
Modification and repair of welds and structures
- Roof repair
- Any structural repairs that are required
- All welding should be as per standard
Refurbishment of components
- Re-used, refurbished components according to the definition of the scope of the work. Doors module, auxiliary power system, Converter and Inverter operator console, lighting, batteries, etc.
- Installation of new pneumatic pipes and upgrading the brake system equipment as per new design.
- Installation of the interior cable conduits and the terminal strips on the frame
Image Credit : CAF
Interior, exterior and paintwork
- Interior, exterior, frame and roof finishes
- Installation of thermal insulation
Static -factory acceptance test
- Complete electrical continuity and high power test
- Complete static tests of all the systems
- Levelling of the vehicle to floor height adjustment.
Main line dynamic tests
- Complete dynamic tests at low speed and high speed
- Interface test with Rolling stock with signaling, traction, surveillance system(CCTV, PAPIS) etc….
This Article shall be covered in our March 2019 Edition Magazine with more details on Train 18 . Click Here to advertise in the magazine or know more on the same .
Be the first to comment