NCRTC, keeping in mind the convenience of passengers and in harmony with nature, has designed the station to be airy, open and well-lit with natural light. For this, beige-coloured perforated panels have been installed for the wall of the stations which also reflects the integration with the surrounding environment.
- Inspired by the colour spectrum of the peacock feather, the stations of India’s first Regional Rail, RAPIDX, are coloured in the hues of blue and beige. The stations of the Priority Section are ready for operations and this stretch of the corridor stands out with its beauty, and yet gels well with the surroundings.
- To encourage people to travel in public modes of transport, NCRTC has paid attention to every aspect of the station structure and keeping the needs of the commuters in mind, incorporated the same into the station design.
- The colours of the station’s exterior facade have been inspired by the hues of peacock feathers, the national bird of India. The façade structure is coloured in 2 shades of blue and beige. The exterior roofs of the RAPIDX stations are designed to be curved on both sides to depict the speed, which is one of the main characteristics of RAPIDX trains.
- Another reason behind designing the roof to be curved is that the width of the stations of the RAPIDX corridor varies from station to station. This design feature makes them look linear and harmonious.
- In addition to that, beige-coloured louvres have also been installed along the railings which ensure uninterrupted flow of air in the station.
- To reflect the scale of the station’s expansion and to give the station a distinctive identity, the façade has been conceptualized from the station’s concourse level itself. Another special feature of this design is that the foot-over bridges built under multi-modal integration will also be painted in the same colours. That is, they are also being covered to protect commuters from sun and rain in all weathers.
- Also, for the convenience of the people living on both sides of the road and to avoid the situation of traffic jams outside the station, instead of making the entry/exit of the station on the main carriageway, a dedicated passage has been made for them on both sides of the road. These have also been covered for not only the continuity in the design but also a sense of connectivity to the passengers.
- Special attention has also been paid to the design aspects inside the station as well. Hard materials such as granite or epoxy have been used for station flooring in the areas expected to have high footfall and Vacuumized Dense Concrete (VDC) has been used for the rest of the flooring.
- Vacuumized concrete is a type of concrete in which the excess water used in its mixing is removed from it to give it strength. At times, granite is also included in it to make it look more beautiful.
- Glass lifts have been installed inside the station to make the station appear more airy, spacious, open and lit. Some of these lifts are wider to accommodate stretchers if required. There is a provision of seating on the platform for the convenience of the commuters waiting for the train.
- Also, Platform Screen Doors (PSDs) have been installed at every station for their safety. These PSDs will be linked to the signalling system of the train i.e. the train will run only after both, the train doors and the PSD are closed.
- Apart from this, drinking water and washroom facilities have been provided in the paid area of the concourse level at every station. In the bigger stations of the corridor, which will provide connectivity under multi-modal integration, washroom facilities have also been provided at street level.
- Keeping in mind the convenience of commuters travelling with young children, a provision for a room equipped with a diaper-changing station has also been made at the concourse level of every station providing multi-modal integration.
- Special arrangements have been made at RAPIDX stations for hassle-free movement of visually challenged persons. Dedicated tactile paths have been created to avoid any confusion and show them the shortest possible route to key areas in the station. All RAPIDX stations are made universally accessible.
- To make the station orderly and symmetrical, a consolidated boom is made for the electrical wiring or pipes or wires of other facilities, where these will be systematically kept in one place. This will not only make the station look clean and beautiful but also ensure the safety of the passengers.
- To contribute towards a clean and green environment, NCRTC is striving to achieve the highest rating of IGBC certification for all RAPIDX stations, depots, power substations and other buildings.
- The infrastructure of the RAPIDX system equipped with a green energy and minimum water consumption system will not only enhance the overall commuter experience on this green transport model but will also encourage greater use of public transport. This effort will also prove helpful in reducing carbon emissions.
- RAPIDX stations equipped with all these features are soon going to be operational for commuters. NCRTC is soon going to operationalise the 17 km long Priority Section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor for the public ahead of schedule.
Source: NCRTC- Press Release | Images Credit: NCRTC