Schindler has been selected to deliver and install 180 escalators for two new routes of the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd’s Phase 2 project. The project will integrate the metro network with Bangalore’s other urban transport systems, and eventually will con-nect the city’s tech hub with Bangalore International Airport.
- Bangalore, India’s third-largest city, is well-known as a global tech hub.
- The Phase 2 project, which is set to be completed by 2026, will promote public transport to Bangalore’s Information Technology (IT) district and is intended to ease the city’s traffic congestion.
- Implementation has been divided into different elevated reach extensions and underground sections.
- The project for which Schindler has been selected includes 140 escalators for the extension that will serve as the new Yellow Line route connecting Bangalore with Electronic City – one of India’s largest IT industrial parks.
- In addition, Schindler will deliver and install 40 escalators for the new Pink Line north-south route through the city.
- The new stations will be able to transport an additional 370,000 passengers a day.
“We’re proud to be supporting a project of this magnitude that is bound to improve quality of life in Bangalore. Our technology will help the people of Bangalore navigate the city’s expansive public transport network in a reliable, safe, efficient, and comfortable manner,” said Jujudhan Jena, Member of Schindler’s Executive Committee responsible for Asia Pacific. “I’m honored that we will play a vital role in forming the beating heart of Bangalore’s metro system.”
About the project:
- Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL) is a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) of Government of Karnataka (GoK) and Government of India for implementing Bangalore Metro Rail Project.
- BMRCL Phase-I network comprises of Purple and Green Lines spanning a total length of 42.30 Km of which about 8.82 Km is underground and about 33.48 Km is elevated.
- There are 40 stations in Phase-I, of which 7 stations are underground, 1 station at grade and 32 stations are elevated.
- BMRCL Phase-II spans a length of 72.095 km – 13.79 km underground, 0.48 km at grade and 57.825 km elevated and adds 61 stations to the network, of which 12 stations are underground.
- Phase-II network comprises of extensions to Purple Line (East-West) between Baiyappanahalli and Whitefield (R1 Extn of 15.5 Km) with a depot at Whitefield (also known as Kadugodi) on the Eastern end and Mysore Road to Chellagatta (R2 Extn of 6.1 Km) with a depot at Chellagatta on the Western end of the corridor.
- Similarly, the extension to the Green Line (North-South) comprises of stations between Nagasandra and BIEC (R3 Extn of 4 Km) on the Northern side of the corridor and between Yelachenahalli to Silk Institute (R4 Extn of 6 Km) with a depot at Anjanapura on the Southern end of the corridor.
- Further two new lines are being added between RV Road to Bommasandra (R5 of 18.8Km) with a depot at Hebbagodi and between Gottigere to Nagawara (R6 of 21.2 Km) with a depot at Kothanur.
Source: Schindler-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Pixabay