South Central Railway (SCR) has been continuously giving thrust towards enhancement of infrastructure, capacity augmentation and safety. As part of it, the zone has accorded highest priority for electrification of all the Railway lines across its network. Accordingly, the Zone has completed electrification of 60 Kms Double line between Umdanagar – Gollapalli.
- This is a crucial portion in connecting Hyderabad city with major cities such as Kurnool, Anantapur, Bengaluru, Kadapa, Tirupati etc., and down South.
- The project is being executed by the Railway PSU, Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL).
- The Secunderabad – Mahabubnagar Doubling & Electrification project is one of the critical projects for strengthening the rail operations in the state of Telangana.
- The project was sanctioned for a distance of 85 Kms in 2015-16 at an estimated cost of Rs 774 crores.
- The section between Secunderabad – Umdanagar for a distance of 28 Kms is excluded in the above project and was undertaken as part of MMTS Phase II and is completed.
- Doubling & electrification works in the balance section i.e., Umdanagar – Mahabubnagar for a distance of 85 Kms has been undertaken in this project.
- The project is progressing at a fast pace, with the completion of the Doubling between Umdanagar – Gollapalli for a distance of 60 Kms in two phases.
- Now, the completion of electrification of this 60 Kms stretch helps in providing seamless connectivity and enhanced travel experience to Rail passengers for a continuous stretch between Secunderabad – Gollapalli for a distance of 88 Kms.
- The electrification of these railway lines will significantly strengthen Rail infrastructure in the state of Telangana and provide seamless movement of freight and passenger traffic, besides reducing the enroute detentions.
- Electrification of railway lines in these sections immensely benefit the Railways in reducing the fuel expenditure, while also promoting energy saving.
- Electrification of Railway lines is also environment friendly, as it reduces the emission of carbon footprints.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR has complimented the SCR & RVNL officials for successful completion of electrification between Umdanagar – Gollapalli.
- The General Manager has stated that, SCR is on fast track in completing electrification works as envisaged by Railway Ministry and the officials are striving hard to complete the electrification works as per the target in order to provide seamless connectivity across Indian Railways.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): SCR