South Central Railway (SCR) has completed and commissioned 106kms of Electric traction of the railway line between Vijayawada-Uppaluru-Bhimavaram sections of Vijayawada railway division on 21st January, 2021. The newly-commissioned electrification work of the section includes single line with electric traction from Vijayawada to Uppaluru for a length of 18 kilometres and double line with electric traction from Uppaluru to Bhimavaram town for a length of 88 kilometres.
- The total length of electric traction in terms of track kilometres in the section is 226 kilometres.
- The newly commissioned Electrification Project is part of the Vijayawada-Gudivada-Bhimavaram-Narsapur, Gudivada-Machilipatnam & Narsapur-Nidadavolu Doubling and Electrification project of SCR, which is being executed at a cost of Rs. 3000 Crore.
- With a vision to provide impetus to the development of the coastal belt of Andhra Pradesh, Indian Railways took up the doubling and electrification project in the year 2011-12 for a distance of 221 kms.
- The new infrastructure development project will significantly strengthen Rail transport infrastructure for seamless movement of freight and passenger traffic on rails, the new double rail line is bound to serve public aspirations in several ways apart from saving energy and reducing fuel expenditure besides reducing carbon footprint.
- The work has been executed by RVNL (Rail Vikas Nigam Limited) with modern construction practices and technology adoption.
- Shri Ram Kripal, Commissioner of Railway Safety, South Central Circle conducted inspection of Electric traction between Vijayawada-Uppaluru single line and double line section between Uppaluru-Bhimavaram Town on 19th & 20th January, 2021.
- He authorized the zone to run the Passenger and Freight trains on the section.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR expressed his happiness at the achievement of the zone.
- He complimented the officials for completing the project work as scheduled, overcoming the unexpected impact of Covid-19 pandemic situation.
- The General Manager opined that the long felt needs of the coastal Belt of Andhra Pradesh have been fulfilled.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release