South Central Railway has transported Automobile vehicles viz., Mini trucks & commercial vehicles through Railways for the first time to Jirania Railway station in Tripura state of North Eastern part of the country. It is the farthest distance being covered by Railways from SCR connecting South India with North Eastern States.
- As per the advice of the Rail Ministry, South Central Railway has accorded special focus on freight traffic.
- The Business Development Units (BDU) have been set-up at both Zonal and Divisional level not only to strengthen the existing traffic but also to attract new traffic towards Railways.
- Accordingly, the Secunderabad Divisional BDU team has been making special efforts to increase the freight basket of the division.
- The continuous efforts by the team have led Zahirabad as fast evolving and as a preferred station for loading automobiles over Secunderabad Division.
- Compared to the last financial year, wherein only 01 automobile rake was loaded during the entire financial year, this year already 10 rakes have been loaded from this station.
- To begin with, the automobile traffic used to go only to Changsari in Assam.
- However, the continuous efforts of Secunderabad division officials in coordinating and monitoring freight customers has led to the addition of one more new destination i.e., Jirania in Tripura, which is also the farthest point among the Zonal freight loading destinations.
- Accordingly, 15 NMG wagons consisting of 69 vehicles were transported to Jirania station of Tripura State which is around 3600 Kms from Zahirabad.
- Along with these, 10 NMG wagons consisting of 42 vehicles were loaded to Changsari station in Assam state.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manger, SCR complimented railway officials of Secunderabad Division for their sustained efforts in enhancing freight loading. He expressed his happiness as the Zone is able to transport Automobile vehicles to the farthest points located in North Eastern parts of the country.
South Central Railway has put special focus on transportation of essential commodities during the Covid-19 pandemic period and taking forward this program, Parcel loading in Hyderabad Division of South Central Railway has registered 100% increase in the current financial year till 21st November, 2020 when compared with the previous year loading in the same period.
- The parcel transportation to the farther destinations like Howrah, Nizamuddin, Guwahati, Ludhiana etc helped in connecting more places for supplying essential commodities during the hour of need.
- It also led to register 40% more revenue than the previous year.
- During Covid-19 emergent situation, the main motto of Railways was to keep supply chain intact so that the essential items of each and every household across the country should not be hampered on th e Nation’s interest.
- In this regard, SCR has been very prompt in introducing time tabled parcel trains. According to the prevailing demand, Parcel transportation has been carried out to farther destinations from Kacheguda railway station and other major stations of Hyderabad Division.
- For the convenience of cargo aggregators, Medchal station has been opened for parcel traffic during the lockdown period to facilitate hassle free and smooth transportation of parcels by Rail.
- For the first time on SCR, New high capacity LHB Parcel vans have been introduced in Time tabled parcel train bound towards Guwahati from Kacheguda which has been added advantage to load more parcels.
- Till 21st November, 2020 during the current financial year:
- 265 Parcel vans were loaded to Nizamuddin
- 155 parcel vans were loaded to Howrah
- 66 parcel vans loaded to Guwahati
- 19 parcel vans were loaded to different destinations like Ranchi, Shalimar, Chennai, Ludhiana, Korukkupet etc from Kacheguda, Medchal and other stations of Hyderabad division.
- This enabled loading of 12029 tonnes of parcels in 505 parcel vans during the current year while 6003 tonnes of parcels have been transported in 210 parcel vans last year.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway complimented Hyderabad division officials for their prompt and quick response during the pandemic situation which helped in transportation of essential parcel items from the division.
- He also stated that time tabled parcel trains which were introduced in the current year has evoked huge response from parcel customers and this is a positive sign for the parcel transportation business of the Zone.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release