South Eastern Railway (SER) during the Covid-19 hit year upto December just gone by, has yielded an exemplary performance in safety related works in maintenance of rolling stock stabled at different car sheds, workshops and various yard sidings all over its entire network. Nationwide lockdown since 25th March, 2020 and unlocked periods in the wake of Covid-19 pandemic could not refrain the field staff and officers of the Mechanical Department of South Eastern Railway from the maintenance work in their respective fields.
- The dedicated workforce observing all the Covid health protocols, has achieved remarkable performance.
- With the stringent measures undertaken by the Mechanical Department of South Eastern Railway, 127 mainline coaches including 26 AC and 101 non- AC and 16 numbers of LHB coaches have been turned out.
- 24 EMU/MEMUs have also turned out as against the target of 23.
- Despite the difficulties and severe constraints due to Covid-19 lockdowns, 1293 wagons ROH (Regular Overhauling) have been done by putting excellent efforts of all Divisions of South Eastern Railway in December 2020.
- ROH attention of December 2019 were 1289 wagons.
- The cumulative wagon ROH out turn during the current financial year has been 8567.
- Apart from this, regular rake sanitisation of all the trains of South Eastern Railway have been done.
- Two numbers of automatic sanitiser dispenser machines have been installed at EMU Car Shed at Tikiapara.
- The achievement of the Mechanical Department depends largely on the close monitoring from every corner as is done under the able guidance of Shri P K Mondal, Principal Chief Mechanical Engineer, South Eastern Railway.
Signal & Telecommunication:
With the rapid growth of passenger and freight traffic, it has become necessary on the part of railways to modernize and maintain the signaling and interlocking equipment at stations on the important trunk lines and Signal Points in order to carry and ease the traffic movement.
- South Eastern Railway, to fulfil this commitment, has been upkeeping all sorts of safety related works irrespective of all departments viz, mechanical, electrical, engineering and signal & telecommunication during Covid hit year just gone by.
- The Signal & Telecommunication Department of South Eastern Railway has come forward with its entire machinery to conduct necessary maintenance and repairing works on regular measures over four Divisions viz, Kharagpur, Adra Ranchi and Chakradharpur with a view to ensure safe running of train services.
- Field workers and officers of Signalling & Telecommunication Department, without fear of Covid-19 Pandemic have taken challenge to perform sincerely their duties and have attended and successfully completed all kinds of safety related works of signalling and telecommunication such as:
- Commissioning of Electronic Interlocking
- Block Station & Block Sections
- Route Relay Interlocking
- Auto Signalling
- Electronic Interlocking LED Signalling
- Interlocking Level Crossing Gate
- Sliding Boom
- Replacement of old equipments
- Out Point
- Data Logger
- Digital Gadgets
- All stations of the South Eastern Railway have been provided with LED signal.
- Activities under Mission Satyanistha have been initiated.
- As a part of success, 3 major categories of training programme have been organised to impart training of the Telecom engineers & Supervisors.
- Steps have also been taken on a regular basis to improve upkeep and cleanliness in work places.
- These apart, digital initiatives have been taken like counter communication system (CCS), UTS/Passenger Reservation System, installation of Wi-Fi at stations as passenger friendly steps.
- Important stations and other apparently sensitive stations have been equipped with CCTVs for better surveillance in context of safety and security of travelling passengers.
- Level Crossing gates are well equipped with sliding booms in respect of high safety.
- The Signaling and Interlocking works have significantly ensured the safe and expeditious running of trains throughout the system.
- The overhauling and maintenance of Signal & Telecom equipment provided with railways is a never-ending process and South Eastern Railway has been doing this all along during lockdown and unlock periods in form of old assets replacement, modernization and their execution.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Eastern Railway