Making the South Eastern Railway a “Scrap Free Railway” is one of the mission areas of this Railway Zone. With a view to realise value from sale of unserviceable materials lying along tracks, workshops etc. during this financial year (2020-21), numerous inspections have been carried out and co-ordination meetings have been conducted by Senior Railway Officers to identify and dispose of all such items of scrap.
- Due to continuous monitoring, South Eastern Railway has achieved Scrap Sale of Rs.68.20 crores during the period from April to October of the current financial year.
- This has been achieved in spite of lockdown due to Covid-19 pandemic.
- The scrap lots have been sold on a competitive and transparent e-auction platform.
- 4098 metric tonne of scrap rails.
- 281 condemned wagons.
- 109 condemned coaches.
- 03 condemned locos.
- 679 metric tonne of non-ferrous scrap.
- 1604 metric tonne of ferrous scrap etc.
- Released from workshops and maintenance units have been disposed during April to October of this financial year.
Parcel Express Trains:
Meanwhile, Indian Railways is poised to fight against the Coronavirus pandemic by adopting various measures including movement of Time Tabled Parcel Express Trains for maintaining uninterrupted supply of essential commodities to every nook and corner of the country during crisis in the wake of Covid-19.
- As a part of commitment to the nation, South Eastern Railway has geared up its entire network to run Time Tabled Parcel Express Trains towards different destinations in the country.
- South Eastern Railway, during this national crisis, has already run 6474 trips of Time Tabled Parcel Express Trains carrying essential commodities viz. food items, groceries, medicines, medical equipments, fish, fruits, cotton goods, gunny bags, vegetables, onion, ginger, garlic and other daily need items to different parts of the country from 2nd April to 22nd November, 2020.
- South Eastern Railway during the above period, has carried 1,46,428 tonnes of parcel traffic containing 48,77,433 number of packages to different places in the country.
- These Time Tabled Parcel Express Trains are running between Shalimar-Mumbai CSMT, Howrah-Secunderabad, Howrah-KSR Bengaluru, Shalimar-Porbandar, Kharagpur-Itwari, Howrah-Jagdalpur and Shalimar-Thiruvananthapuram.
- Apart from the above, Parcel trains running between KSR Bengaluru-Dimapur and KSR Bengaluru-Guwahati are also passing through SER jurisdiction.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Eastern Railway