Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway conducted a detailed review meeting on safety, freight loading and punctuality performance of the Zone on 14th December, 2020 at Rail Nilayam, Secunderabad. Principal Heads of Departments; Divisional Railway Managers (DRMs) of all the six divisions viz., Vijayawada, Guntakal, Guntur, Secunderabad, Hyderabad and Nanded Divisions participated through web conference.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya conducted a review on safety and cautioned the officials about practicing the shortcut methods in train operations, which may lead to untoward incidents.
- He advised the officials to stick to the fundamental procedures in safety related issues.
- Basic discipline needs to be maintained without fail at any workplace to avoid incidents which may lead to obstruction of traffic, he added.
- He advised the officials to strictly adhere to the guidelines to ensure safety of the tracks and train movements.
- The General Manager reviewed the freight loading of the zone and advised all the Divisions to overcome any disruption caused by cyclone and heavy rains with proactive approach and maintaining continuous touch with major stakeholders.
- The General Manager appreciated the efforts of the BDU (Business Development Units) of all Divisions over the Zone for generating new streams of traffic.
- He appreciated that addition of new commodities to the freight basket of SCR is a good sign to diversify the freight basket from all the sectors of the economy.
- He also held a detailed review with all the Divisional Railway Managers on the performance of Business Development Units.
- The General Manager also reviewed the new changes incorporated into the timings/schedules of the special trains for the convenience of passengers and its impact on the punctuality performance of the Zone.
- He instructed the officials to adopt the changes and streamline the systems immediately.
- He also advised the Divisional Managers to maintain punctuality strictly and operate the trains to reach the destinations intime.
For the 3rd Consecutive month, Freight Loading of South Central Railway has surpassed the freight loading of the corresponding month in the previous year, registering the highest loading for 2020-21 in November 2020.
- The Zone has recorded freight loading of 9.3 MTs during the month of November 2020 compared to the loading of 8.9 MT recorded during November 2019.
- Inspite of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Zone continues to show positive momentum in the freight loading due to the relentless efforts of Team SCR under the guidance and leadership of Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR.
- The diversification of the freight basket also continues with the growth in other commodities loading more than making up marginal reduction in Coal loading.
- The sustained focus on agricultural commodities loading has led to Foodgrains and Fertiliser loading growing by 25% (0.64 MT) and 44% (0.62 MT) respectively in November 2020 over last year.
- With continuous monitoring and follow up by the team SCR,Cement and Containers loading have also seen an upswing.
- Containers Loading registered to the tune of 0.152 Million Tonnes in November 2020 which is 67% higher when compared with corresponding period of the previous year, while Cement Loading registered 2.84 MTs which is 50 % more than the previous year loading in the same month (1.9 MTs).
- Several freight concessions and policy initiatives introduced by Railways especially in terms of both Tariff and Non-Tariff initiatives for commodities across the spectrum have positively contributed towards the improvement in growth of freight loading.
- Simultaneously, the setting-up of Business Development Units at Zonal and Divisional level has helped in making in-roads into stream of traffic as well as new destinations for the existing commodities.
- The movement of freight trains has also been given due importance and regularly monitored at all levels.
- The average speed of freight trains in the month of November was around 50 Kmph, which is an improvement of 85% when compared to 27 Kmph registered in the same month last year.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release