Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway (SCR) conducted a review meeting on safety and emphasized on speeding up of the ongoing works related to construction of Road Under Bridges(RUBs) and Road Over Bridges (ROBs).
He also held a detailed review of freight loading and punctuality of the Zone on, 29th December, 2020 from Rail Nilayam, Secunderabad through Video conferencing.
- Shri Arun Kumar Jain, Additional General Manager and Principal Heads of Departments; Divisional Railway Managers (DRMs) of all the six divisions viz Vijayawada, Guntakal, Guntur, Secunderabad, Hyderabad and Nanded Divisions participated through a web conference.
- The General Manager conducted a detailed review on the progress of RUBs and ROBs targeted for the completion during the current financial year.
- He advised the DRMs to personally supervise the elimination of level crossings from the stage of awarding the work, box casting, insertion of the boxes and completion of the works related to approach roads etc.
- He also instructed to expedite the procurement of enough number of fog detection devices to ensure the safety during this fog season and ensure all possible measures for safe working to avoid untoward incidences.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya instructed the officials to focus on the loading and movement of the goods trains to improve the freight loading to catch up the target set by the Railway Board.
- He instructed the officials to ensure the working of the Goods Sheds 24/7 in the zone and take feedback from the divisions on the facilities and infrastructure available at the good sheds and ensure the safety working of Labour and staff working at the goods sheds.
- He also instructed the officials to make proper planning with respect to freight loading via., ensuring availability of sufficient locos, crew and advised to concentrate on inter change operations and Jumbo rakes loading at all the cement sidings etc.
- The General Manager also held a detailed division review wise on the business realized by the Business Development Units (BDU’s) with the DRM’s.
- The officials briefed on the action plan set to improve the loading and punctuality of the Zone.
The First Longer Loop Line of South Central Railway has been commissioned at Bikkavolu Railway Station of Vijayawada Division located on the busy Vijayawada – Visakhapatnam (Waltair) section.
In Railways, loop lines are constructed in station areas to accommodate more number of trains and to ease out the train operations. Normally, these loop lines are constructed with a length of 750 meters which can accommodate a full-length goods train with multiple engines.
- With the increasing need to handle more number of trains with higher average speeds, Indian Railways has been encouraging the construction of Longer Loop lines of around 1500 meters (which is double than the existing loop line lengths).
- Over SCR, the Ministry of Railways has initially sanctioned construction of Longer Loops at six stations of Vijayawada Division viz., Bikkavolu, Navabpalem & Elamanchili in Vijayawada – Visakhapatnam section and Nidubrolu, Ammanabrolu & Bitragunta m Vijayawada – Chennai section.
- Accordingly, the Longer Loop line works at Bikkavolu station has been taken up and completed well before the target date and this longer loop line stands as the first one commissioned across the Zone.
- Further, the works for commissioning of longer loop lines at Nidubrolu, Ammanabrolu and Bitragunta stations are in progress simultaneously along with 3rd Line works being carried out between Vijayawada – Gudur, while the longer loops at Navabpalem and Elamanchili are nearing completion and are targeted for commissioning in 2021.
- The execution of works for construction of Longer Loop at Bikkavolu has been taken up with meticulous planning without any disruption to regular train services.
- The total cost of this project is around Rs. 85 crores.
- The loop line is having two isolations to strengthen the safety and also facilitates stabling two trains at a time.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release