Shri John Thomas, General Manager, Southern Railway inspected Loco Works, Perambur on 8th September 2021. This is part of an annual exercise to assess the maintenance of the railway assets that contribute to safe operation of trains. Shri S.Srinivas, Principal Chief Mechanical Engineer and other Principal Heads of Departments of Southern Railway and Shri Arun Devaraj, Chief Workshop Manager, Loco Works along with a team of officials accompanied the General Manager.
- In the morning, the General Manager inspected the recently opened Canteen facility at Loco Works.
- The canteen, functioning since 15th of May 2021 serves about 250 to 275 diets per day for COVID-19 patients of Railway Hospital, Perambur apart from catering to the needs of employees of the workshop.
- During the peak of the second wave, the canteen was functioning full-fledged, offering food and snacks for COVID patients and employees.
- The General Manager appreciated the canteen staff for their commendable services during the times of crisis.
- Later, General Manager inaugurated the Airless Centrifugal Shot Blasting machine which ensures removal of dust from Helical coil springs of LHB and ICF type coaches, thus ensuring good suspension for smooth train journeys.
- The machine will also increase out turn efficiency by 100% optimizing time and power consumption besides checking air pollution and moisture content when compared to the conventional method of shot blasting.
- Shri John Thomas also inaugurated Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer in CMT Lab at Loco works.
- The equipment is used for quantitatively detecting the composition of polymer (Rubber & Plastics) components of Rolling stock so as to determine the quality and life of the component to plan replacement.
Other Facilities inspected include:
- Apart from the above, during the course of his inspection, the General Manager inaugurated technical facilities and the newly constructed electrical substation apart from the renovated Meeting Room.
- Various types of coaches and innovations kept on display were also inspected.
- The General Manager inspected and took a short ride in the century-old vintage Steam loco EIR-21.
- Southern Railway had conducted several heritage runs with EIR-21 hauled Special train, the latest run being operated between Chennai Egmore – Kodambakkam to commemorate Independence Day 2019.
- EIR-21, the world’s oldest working steam engine is kept in working condition at the Perambur Loco Workshop.
- At the end of the inspection, a Power Point Presentation was made briefing the General Manager on various achievements of Loco Works, Perambur.
- General Manager lauded the Officers and Staff of Loco works for their dedication and good work and announced suitable awards for meritorious personnel.
- Perambur Loco works was established during the year 1932 for overhauling Steam locos and traveling steam cranes initially.
- The workshop expanded its operations to include Periodic Overhauling of various types of Diesel and AC locos, DEMU rakes, tower wagons, LHB bogies and Intermediate Overhauling of ICF bogies.
- Apart from EIR-21, the workshop has been overhauling heritage Steam loco EIR-22 and keeping the same in working condition.
Source: Southern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit: Southern Railway