Shri Manoj Joshi, General Manager, Metro Railway has reviewed all the maintenance works of tracks, rakes and signaling system that have been undertaken during this lockdown at a high level meeting held today i.e on 07.06.2021.
- During this meeting, he expressed his satisfaction on the progress of these maintenance works.
- He instructed concerned officials to complete the works within the stipulated deadline.
- Shri Joshi was also briefed about the COVID treatment being provided at Tapan Sinha Memorial Hospital.
- He has advised to keep adequate oxygen cylinders, vaccines and medicines ready in this Hospital.
- He also instructed to provide necessary treatment and care to all those patients coming to this Hospital with post – COVID complications.
East-West Metro Update:
Meanwhile, the tunneling work was completed by Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) in East West Metro Corridor with the breakthrough of “Urvi“ at Bowbazar, Kolkata on 15.05.2021. With this breakthrough the entire TBM tunneling for the Kolkata East-West Metro Project is completed.
- The stretch was difficult for tunneling work as it had century old buildings.
- This challenging tunnel drive of 800m has been completed successfully amidst this pandemic situation following COVID-19 protocol.
- The TBM ‘Urvi’ which had earlier completed East Bound tunnel from Esplanade to Sealdah on 09.10.2020 was relaunched from Sealdah after necessary refurbishment and inspection on 09.01.2021 to complete the balance 800 m tunneling work in West Bound tunnel from Sealdah to Bowbazar.
- This drive of tunneling has been completed and the TBM break through at Retrieval Shaft at Bowbazar has been achieved on 15.05.2021.
- This TBM [Urvi] has passed below Sealdah Flyover also for which vehicular movement on the Fly over was closed for 3 days for safety reasons.
- After completion of this TBM drive, the TBM ‘Urvi’ along with the other stalled TBM ‘Chandi’ will be retrieved from this retrieval shaft at Bowbazar.
- Excavation of shaft after ensuring the water tightness of the shaft and the affected tunnel and retrieval of the TBMs are intricate activities which have to be done safely and hence will take time.
- After completion of entire excavation, both the TBMs will be retrieved in pieces from the shaft.
- The RCC flooring and roofing for the shaft area will be completed thereafter and the shaft top will be backfilled to prepare the ground for overground construction.
- The project will be implemented by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited which is a CPSE under Ministry of Railways.
- Estimated completion cost of the project is – Rs. 8575 crore with Ministry of Railway’s share as Rs.3268.27 crore, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ share as Rs.1148.31 crore and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) loan of Rs.4158.40 crore.
- The 5.3 km long elevated corridor has already been commissioned since 14.02.2020.
- Further 1.67 Km commissioned on 05.10.2020.
- The target date for completion of the entire project is December, 2021.
Source: Metro Railway Kolkata-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Kolkata Metro