On 3.08.2021, the Metropolitan Commissioner, Shri. S.V.R. Srinivas IAS visited project sites of the Metro Line 2B (DN Nagar-Mandale) to review several aspects of this 23km long metro project & set the timeline details.
- In this on site project review, Shri. S.V.R. Srinivas (Metropolitan Commissioner, MMRDA) examined the overall project progress and discussed several on-ground issues, including redevelopment of buildings & societies affected by the metro line and the construction sequence work of the metro stations on this line.
- The Metropolitan Commissioner also issued crucial decisions on the matters related to Integration with metro line 1, interchanges, construction methodology, the BSNL bridgework that is expected to begin shortly, and the aspects of entry & exit points on Metro Line 2B.
New Metro Train arrives at Charkop Metro Depot:
A new set of Rolling Stocks arrives at the Charkop Metro Depot. Right after assembling, this set of Metro Rake will undergo thorough testing for the next 2 months.
- A total of six metro coaches, Made in India have arrived at the Charkop Metro Depot.
- After completing all the safety tests, these metro rakes will be included in the ongoing Trial Runs on Metro Line 2A & Line 7.
- The MMRDA has given a contract to BEML for 576 cars/coaches worth Rs. 4350 crore.
- Earlier, MMRDA had given a contract to BEML to manufacture 504 cars (84 train sets) costing Rs 3816 crore.
- However, due to the extension of both Metro Line 2A and 7 the requirement of metro rakes increased.
- The first Indigenously-built metro coach to be used for the Mumbai Metro Line 2A (Dahisar East to DN Nagar) and Line 7 (Andheri East to Dahisar East) arrived in Mumbai on 28.01.2021.
- The manufacturing company Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) delivered the “Made in India” metro rake from its Bengaluru facility.
Dynamic Testing of Metro Train:
Meanwhile, the MMRDA has come one more but critical step closer to the dream of starting actual operations on Metro Line 2A (Dahisar to DN Nagar) and Metro Line 7 (Dahisar East to Andheri East).
- From 19.62021, onwards with the availability of the first prototype train set, the dynamic test and trial run on a 20 kilometre stretch between Dhanukarwadi and Aarey on Metro Line 2A and 7 has been started.
- With the integration of traction control and management system (TCMS) the said dynamic trial runs have been initiated.
- Despite covid-19 induced lockdown situation worldwide which has further impacted the shipment of crucial systems and components from Italy, Japan, South Korea and Germany required for the running of prototype train was made available due to constant efforts and follow up made by the team.
- Due to Flight disruption amid Covid-19 restrictions the availability of experts from Demark, France, South Korea, Finland,Spain for signalling and telecom understanding was not possible for nearly one year.
- Therefore, synchronisation of propulsion and brake system was done through video conferencing across three different time zones – India, Europe and Japan.
- Now during this Dynamic trial run period, the prototype train set of six cars will run at various speeds.
- Various sub-systems and equipment will be tested under dynamic conditions.
- Performance proving tests besides integration with signalling, platform screen doors, telecom will be tested.
- This trial run will continue for about two months and only after that the first prototype train set manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Ltd will be offered to RDSO for mandatory performance and safety testing which will take another two months.
- The train will be then sent to the commissioner of railway safety (CRS) for inspection and certification.
- Hon’ble Chief Minister Shri Uddhav Thackeray on May 31st 2021 had flagged off the static testing between Dhanukarwadi and Aarey.
- The commercial operations on this stretch in Phase -1 is expected to begin in October 2021 with all passenger facilities such as lifts, escalators, AFC gates among others.
- Before that, as agreed by the BEML a total of 10 train sets (two each month) will be delivered by the end of September 2021.
- While the entire stretch of Metro Line 2A and 7 is expected to be ready for testing and trial run by the end of December 2021.