Shri Sanjeev Kishore, General Manager of South Western Railway inspected Dharwad Railway Station on 11.09.2021. Shri P.K. Mishra, Additional General Manager of SWR; Shri Arvind Malkhede, Hubballi Divisional Railway Manager and other Branch Officers were present. He reviewed the station redevelopment work at Dharwad and instructed to complete the remaining works quickly.
- He inspected the platforms, Foot Over Bridges, circulating area and Fire Safety & Fire Fighting System installed at Dharwad railway station.
- He appreciated the station beautification work carried out at Dharwad station which reflects the local history, Heritage and culture.
- He also checked the enhancement of illumination work at the station.
- Appreciating the cleanliness of the station, he directed the cleaning staff to continue the good work.
- He said that the station has come up nicely and instructed the officials to try for Green Building Certification by complying required norms.
- He appreciated the vertical garden developed at Dharwad station which is first of its kind in North Karnataka region.
- He also inspected the Station master room and interacted with the staff.
- He visited Level Crossing Gate No. 297 in Dharwad Station yard and counselled the Gateman about safe working.
- Later, Shri Sanjeev Kishore visited Multi-Disciplinary Railway Training Institute at Dharwad and took stock of the training being imparted, facilities available for the trainees etc.
- He interacted with trainee station masters, trainee track maintainers etc. and motivated them to learn with enthusiasm.
- After the inspection, he visited Karnataka University to see the heritage tower clocks which were restored by SWR recently.
- He also visited Karnataka College, Dharwad that was originally constructed as Central Offices of Southern Mahratta Railway in the 1880s.
Inspection of Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal Bengaluru:
Meanwhile, Hon’ble Minister of Railways Communications, Electronics and IT Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, inspected Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal Bengaluru on 05-09-2021. Shri Vaishnaw appreciated the team of engineers who conceived and executed this project. He stated that the facilities, amenities provided for enhancing the comfort and convenience of passengers at Sir MV Terminal, will become a benchmark for the stations which will be built in the future all over the country.
- Hon’ble Minister, reviewed the operational aspects of the railway yard, amenities and innovative features provided at the station.
- He discussed with senior officers of SWR, led by General Manager Shri Sanjeev Kishore, about the potential for transportation of parcels from this terminal.
- He instructed the officials to formulate proposals to generate revenue from running of parcel special trains to transport white goods, industrial tools, textiles and other products manufactured in this area.
- The station is equipped with 7 platforms, is designed to serve a footfall of 1 lakh passengers per day and is equipped with features like Braille signage, ramps to access the subway apart from escalators and lifts.
- This makes it a Divyangjan-friendly station.
- Eco-friendly water recycling plant is also present at the station.
- Shri Vaishnaw said that the issue of limited/narrow road access to the Terminal will be sorted out very soon in consultation with BBMP.
Source: South Western Railway-Press Release