Shri Suneet Sharma, General Manager/Eastern Railway in a virtual meeting with the Principal Heads of Departments and Divisional Railway Managers at ER’s Headquarters, Fairlie Place on 28.10.2020 advised all concerned to increase the average speed of freight trains for transport of essential commodities and other inputs in different parts of the country.
- It may be noted that Eastern Railway has already increased the average speed of running of the freight trains considerably and General Manager/Eastern Railway advised to watch the progress constantly and vigilantly.
- GM/ER also emphasized on the functioning of Business Development Units (BDUs) those have been created at both the Headquarters and Divisional level for attracting new traffic and increasing the rail share in the existing stream of traffic.
- He advised to the concerned departments to constantly interact with the industries and facilitate them for carrying the consignment by rail.
- Shri Sharma led more stress on safety of train services.
- He instructed that all the parameters of safety should be observed vividly.
- There will be no compromise on safety matters and zero tolerance will be shown on passenger safety issues.
- Shri Sharma also advised the concerned departments to be more cautious about passenger security during the festive season.
- He advised that RPF should provide necessary guidance and assistance to the rail users during festive season.
- They should render help to the passengers in distress in addition to their task to stop crime.
- During the ongoing Vigilance Awareness Week, Shri Sharma instructed that all railwaymen should perform all tasks in a transparent manner and to act in public interest to set themselves as an example by exploring integrity in personal behaviour.
Lastly, Shri Sharma instructed that Covid protocol should be observed strictly in the special trains during the heavy rush period to combat Covid-19 in a proper manner.
The Business Development Units (BDUs) formed at Headquarters as well as Divisional levels are continuously interacting with the freight customers for transporting freight traffic in different corners of the country and abroad. The BDUs are working hard for best possible customers relations, implementing feedback from the freight customers and acting as a catalytic agents for better freight business.
- BDU of Howrah Division started the movement of first ever container rakes from Sainthia to Haldia port for export of rice to African countries on 03.10.2020.
- This enables the local product to reach global market.
- Due to persistent and proactive marketing by BDUs, Asansol, Container Corporation of India Limited transported rice from Durgapur to West African ports of Cotonou (Benin) and Lome (Togo) via Haldia port on 30.09.2020.
- Due to active endeavour and persistent role, Howrah Division succeeded in loading 512 tonnes of rice in Barddhaman Goods Shed on 25.9.2020 to be transported to Jirania (Agartala).
- This endeavour proves the proactiveness of BDU, Howrah Division like that of Asansol Division.
- The BDUs as created both at the Headquarters level and at the Divisional levels are operated throughout Eastern Railway and they are leaving no stone unturned for attracting new traffic and increasing the rail share in the existing stream of traffic.
- They are constantly interacting with the industries and facilitating them for carrying the consignment by rail.
- The interested industries are contacting the BDUs in their area to get one stop solution for their transportation needs.
- The BDUs, both at zonal and Divisional levels are meeting with the industries at regular intervals to capture new traffic and exploring new traffic initiatives.
- Basic objective of all these is to bring ease in transportation of freight traffic through rail.
Source: Eastern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR