Speaking at the panel discussion on ‘India’s Metro Rail System: At 100 years of Independence’, organised yesterday during the ‘New Urban India’ expo at Lucknow, Shri Vinay Kumar Singh, MD, NCRTC, elaborated on the importance of future-ready, sustainable ‘network of networks’.
- While sharing his valuable insights through an engaging presentation, Mr. Singh showcased how India is witnessing a rapid urbanisation along with mega-regions developing as the growth engines of the economy.
- To facilitate such pace of economic activity, there is a need to focus on sustainable mobility systems having future-ready technologies, among which high-speed rail-based regional commuter systems will act as the backbone of these networks.
- With RRTS (Regional Rapid Transit System) under implementation, NCR will be the first mega-region to get a next-gen mobility solution enabling polycentric growth in the region.
- Managing Directors of DMRC, CMRL, UPMRCL, & Maha Metro and senior officials of KMRL also shared their views during the session chaired by Shri Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
About Delhi-Meerut RRTS Corridor:
- The Delhi-Meerut RRTS corridor is approximately 82 km long corridor with 25 stations, which will cover the distance from Sarai Kale Khan in Delhi to Modipuram in Meerut in about 60 minutes (Currently, it takes around 3 hours to commute from Delhi to Meerut).
- The total project completion cost of Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor is about INR 30274 Crore.
- RRTS is a rail based high-speed transit system with a design speed of 180 kmph and an average speed of 100 kmph.
- Once operational, it will be the fastest, most comfortable and safest mode of commuter transport in NCR.
The Project was sanctioned by the Government of India in March 2019. On 8th March 2019, the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India laid the Foundation Stone of India’s first regional rail.
The details of current status of this corridor is provided below:-
- The construction of Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor is progressing on schedule.
- Contracts for all the major packages have been awarded and the prototype RRTS trainset is expected to be delivered by Dec’2021.
- Project work for priority section of Duhai to Sahibabad of Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor is progressing on schedule with following developments:
- Construction of civil infrastructure including piles, pile caps, piers, viaduct and station work is on full swing.
- Construction of RSS at Muradnagar has started for feeding the priority section including Duhai Depotc.
- Land for Duhai Depot has already been acquired and depot infrastructure construction has started.
- Contract has been awarded for most of the system packages like Rolling Stock, Signalling & Telecom, Track, Traction and OHE etc.
- Possession of Land allotted by Government of India for stabling yard in Delhi.
Source: NCRTC-Press Release