A Freight Customer Meet was chaired by Shri Sanjeev Kishore, General Manager, South Western Railway to discuss various issues related to movement of Iron Ore and increase the rail share in view of recent permission for export of Iron Ore and expansion of Steel Industries.
- General Manager, Shri Sanjeev Kishore elaborated upon the recent developments of Railways in doubling, commissioning of new lines, bye-pass lines, electrification which render hassle-free movement of loaded/empty rakes without traction change/detentions.
- The infrastructure at Goods sheds are also being improved. He pointed out that now abundant capital investment is being made for upgradation of railway infrastructure after the merger of Railway Budget with General Budget.
- This has speeded up the infra-development. In 2022-23 he said SWR achieved the highest ever commissioning of new line plus doubling of 228 km, highest ever electrification of 874 RKM.
- Shri Kishore said that rapid development of infrastructure is imparting confidence to freight customers by reducing bottlenecks, improving transit time etc. which would help to increase modal share of rail transport in the region.
- He pointed out that the infra-upgradation has resulted in improving the mobility of goods trains by 53% from 2021-22 to 2022-23 which was the highest among all railway zones of the country. He assured that all necessary support shall be rendered to the customers.
- While welcoming the customers, it was informed that South Western Railway achieved the highest ever loading of 46.67 MT with originating freight revenue of Rs. 4,710 Crs.
- Representatives of JSW Steel Limited, Torangallu, JSW Steel Limited, Salem, NMDC Limited, Donimalai, Electrosteel Casting Limited, Rachguneri, Arjas Steel Limited, Tadipatri, Vedanta Limited, Chitradurga and Goa, R. Praveen Chandra Mines, Chitradurga, Kalyani Steels, Ginnigera, Janki Corporation, Ballari, S L R Metalics, Ballari, SMIORE Limited, Sandur, MSPL Limited, Hosapete, KIOCL Limited, Bengaluru Pushpit Steel Limited, Hosapeta attended the meeting and put forward their suggestions to increase loading.
- Their Representatives also forecasted their expansion plan of their industries during forthcoming years. The officers of South Western Railway noted the suggestions made by the Customers and assured that they will be taken care of.
- Shri U. Subba Rao, Additional General Manager, Shri Hari Shankar Verma, Principal Chief Operations Manager, Shri Satya Prakash Shastri, Pr. Chief Commercial Manager, Shri Harsh Khare, Divisional Railway Manager, Hubballi, Smt. Shilpi Agarwal, Divisional Railway Manager, Mysuru and other Principal Head of the Departments attended the meeting.
Source: South Western Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: South Western Railway