Revamped Kanya Kumari Station to house world-class infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities for passengers, Kanya Kumari railway station will be identified on the map of redeveloped railway stations.
- Work tender for redevelopment of Kanya Kumari railway station has been awarded at a cost of Rs.49.36 Crores and Letter of Acceptance (LOA) has been issued on 23-11-2022.
- The station, functioning under Thiruvananthapuram Division of Southern Railway, will offer airport-like experience for rail passengers with futuristic infrastructure and novel amenities upon redevelopment.
The revamped station will house the following facilities:
- Futuristic World-class amenities promising to meet the requirements of next 40 to 60 years
- Seamless movement of passengers by separate Arrival and Departure corridor
- Aesthetically designed stations with facade lighting arrangements, good illumination and landscaping
- Dedicated Parking lots for streamlined movement of different categories of vehicles and pedestrians in exclusive lanes and multi level vehicle parking wherever feasible.
- Inter-modal connectivity
- Hassle-free access to all platforms by escalators, lifts, stairways, skywalks
- Spacious concourse(Roof Plaza), waiting halls, acoustically designed and soothing public announcement system, coverage of entire area by CCTV cameras
- Differently-abled friendly modern stations
- Efficient water & energy management measures
- Clear cut division of Train operation facilities and Passenger amenities
- Spacious Entrance Lobby with Ticketing facility
- State of the Art External Façade & landscaping
- Platforms well connected with Sub-ways, adequate parking facilities
- Including Kanniyakumari, Southern Railway has so far awarded tenders for redevelopment of 9 railway stations –, Chennai Egmore, Katpadi Jn, Madurai Jn, Rameswaram (Total- 5 in Tamil Nadu) Ernakulam Jn, Ernakulam Town, Kollam (Three in Kerala) and Puducherry.
Redevelopment of other Stations in SR:
- Southern Railway has also undertaken feasibility study for preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for 4 stations, viz., Kumbakonam, TirunelveliJn (2 in Tamil Nadu), Chengannur and Thrissur (2 in Kerala).
- RLDA had undertaken a feasibility study for preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for 8 stations, viz., Puratchi Thalaivar Dr.M.G. Ramachandran Central, Tambaram, Avadi, Coimbatore Jn (4 in Tamil Nadu), Thiruvananthapuram Central, Varkala, Kozhikode (3 in Kerala) and Mangalore Central in Karnataka.
- Further 38 stations in Southern Railway have been identified for redevelopment and techno economic feasibility study is to be undertaken after final approval from the Railway board.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Image Credit: South Western Railway