Signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for operation and maintenance of Kempegowda International Airport Railway Station (Halt) between South Western Railway, Bengaluru Division and Kempegowda International Airport Ltd, Bengaluru (KIAL) was done on 08.09.2020 in the presence of Shri B S Yediyurappa, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Karnataka and Shri Suresh Angadi, Hon’ble Minister of State of Railways through video link.
Hon’ble CM, Shri B S Yediyurappa thanked the Govt of India for supporting the rail connectivity to Bengaluru Airport- and thus will go a long way in towards comprehensive and integrated multi modal transport connectivity as envisaged by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Ji.
Shri Suresh Angadi, Hon’ble M of State for Railways, thanked Govt. of Karnataka for providing easy transport between Airport and Railway station at a nominal cost which will help the workers working in Airport, in addition to thousands of travellers. He assured that full Cooperation will be extended and the Railway will operate, maintain the halt station .
Shri Ajay Kumar Singh, GM/SWR informed that Railway is open for all innovative transport and the Airport connectivity is a game changer where in road, rail and air are being networked for ease of movement.
Shri Ashok Kumar Verma, Divisional Railway Manager, Bengaluru who represented Railways for signing the Memorandum, said Kempegowda International Airport is the first airport in the country that has got a rail connectivity. The new Railway Station will also help in improving Rail Connectivity to Kolar area.
Brief details about Airport Railway station:
- The Airport Railway station will be a relief to the airport passengers.
- The new Railway station is coming up between Doddajala and Devanahalli stations which are approx 3.5 Kms away from the Bangalore Airport Main Terminal.
- The Station is located in between Yelahanka and Chikkaballapur in Bengaluru Division.
- This station is at a distance of 12 Km from Yelahanka Junction Railway Station.
- At the Airport Railway station, a High level platform with basic amenities of Waiting Hall with all facilities, Ticketing counters are being provided to facilitate smooth transit journey of the passengers to and from the Airport.
- BIAL will however operate food and beverage outlets at the Airport Railway Station for a period of 2 years.
- The Airport Railway Station is constructed at a cost of approx. Rs. 3 crores.
- The construction of the Airport Railway station was undertaken by BIAL at its own cost under the supervision of Railways.
- Stoppages to passenger services that are running on this section prior to cancellation of passenger services will be provided by Railways on resumption of said trains.
- According to Memorandum of Understanding, BIAL shall hand over the Airport Railway station to the Railways for overall operation and management thereon.
- In addition Railway will ensure the safety and security of its employees and users of the Airport Railway Station.
- The Airport Railway station has been constructed on railway land, to provide an alternate quick transport to the Airport for those taking flights to different parts of the country.
- In addition, it will also provide affordable alternative and easy transport to staff, ancillary service providers of Airport.
- As per the MoU, KIAL will provide shuttle bus service between Airport Railway Station and Airport for easy connectivity.
- The frequency of the shuttle services will be synchronised with arrival and departure of train timings.
Shri Ashok Kumar Verma, Divisional Railway Manager/Bengaluru and Shri M D Marar, MD & CEO from BIAL have signed the MoU representing both parties.
Source: South Western Railway-Press Release