In a major boost to the supply chain across the country, Indian Railways has introduced unhindered services of Time tabled Parcel Trains for nationwide transportation of essential commodities and other goods. This has enhanced the availability of vital goods required for ordinary citizens, industry and agriculture.
- On SWR time tabled parcel trains were started in April 2020 during the pandemic to enable timely transportation of essential commodities like medicines and medical equipment to all parts of the country.
- In view of the demand the trains are being run on regular basis and from Apr. 2020 till Nov 2020, SWR has run 309 parcel trains carrying 54,642.20 tonnes of parcels to different parts of the country ensuring adequate supply of essentials including medicines.
- About 76% of the rakes are being utilized and there is a consistent demand for Parcel Cargo Express Trains.
At present, 05 pairs of Parcel Cargo trains are running over SWR as below:
- Train No. 00615 KSR Bengaluru-Howrah, Bi-weekly via Jolarpatai, Chennai, Vijayawada, Bhadrakh
- Train No. 00625 KSR Bengaluru-HNizamuddin Weekly, via Mysuru, Hassan Arsikere, Hubballi, Miraj, Hotgi, Daund, Bhopal (Kissan Special)
- Train No. 00617 KSR Bengaluru-Dimapur (Nagaland) Weekly, via Jolarpatai, Chennai, Gudur, Vijayawada, Bhadrakh, Bhatta Nagar, Malda Town
- Train No.00619 KSR Bengaluru to Guwahati Weekly via Chennai, Vijayawada, Bhadrakh.
- Train No.00623 Vasco-da-gama to Guwahati Weekly via Hubballi, Guntakal, Kacheguda, Vijayawada, Bhadrakh
Essential Commodities loaded by SWR:
- The commodities parceled from Bengaluru/Yesvantpur include H eggs, Perishables & Fruits, food products, Milk items, iced fish & meat.
- General parcels consist of Motor cycles, Silk Yarn, Auto parts, Spice items, Electronic goods, Kitchen ware etc.
- From Mysuru items like Black pepper and cardamom are being parceled and from Vasco-da-gama nestle products (Milk, Kitkat Choclates), Plastic Caps & MRF tyres are being parceled
- In addition to carrying parcels to other states, SWR is also running parcel trains between Belagavi, Hubballi, Davangere and Bengaluru carrying medicines, essentials, spices, pepper, chilly powder, eggs, Maze, etc,.
- Time tabled Parcel express trains are being run by SWR to different parts of the country, wherein local industries, e-commerce companies, interested groups, individuals and prospective loaders can book parcels to their destinations.
- Customers can use this service to send their parcels to any part of the country.
- Prospective customers can contact Control office at Bengaluru-9731666974, Mysuru-9731667984 & Hubballi-7022029814 for assistance in sending parcels to their destinations.
- To provide a boost to freight and parcel express trains and for nationwide transportation of essential commodities a Business Development Unit (BDU) has also been set up at SWR Head Quarter level and at Divisional level to assist customers for moving their commodities by the Railways.
- Multidisciplinary business development units have been constituted to enhance freight basket by enabling ease of doing business.
- It is targeted to double the freight being carried.
- Shri A. K. Singh, GM/SWR has assured that SWR is committed to transporting essential commodities to meet the requirements of people in different parts of the country.
On 24.11.2020, SWR flagged off the first export-bound NMG (New Modified Goods) rake from Hosur Railway Station of the Division.
The rake consisting of 25 wagons loaded with 100 LCVs (Light Commercial Vehicles) called “Dost” manufactured by M/s. Ashok Leyland left for Benapole Railway Station in Bangladesh, which is about 2121 Kms from Hosur.
- This is the first NMG rake dispatched by South Western Railway to Bangladesh.
- Earlier, Bengaluru division had dispatched two export-bound NMG rakes to Nautanwa (Nepal) from Penukonda railway station.
- The LCVs were loaded by M/s. IVC Logistics Ltd, who are logistic partners for Railways and M/s. Ashok Leyland.
- Bengaluru Division which was mainly transporting raw materials and essential commodities took to loading of automobiles for the first time when it transported 175 tractors from Doddaballapur Railway Station to Phuleria in Rajasthan on 29.04.2020.
- Railways have set up a siding at Penukonda exclusively for transport of cars by M/s. KIA Motors.
- Each NMG rake normally carries 100 cars.
- The recent policies such as two points unloading of NMG rakes, Exemption of Terminal charges for automobiles have boosted the loading of Automobiles by India in Railways.
- The current trend indicates that Railways have set to capture 20% of modal share in automobile loading during 2020-21.
Source: South Western Railway-Press Release