Thales presents SelTracTM G8, the 8th generation, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) system. SelTracTM G8 incorporates the latest technology and innovative features to support operators to reach their ambitions and transforming passenger’s journeys in and around cities.
- Rail operators have to transport passengers safely and efficiently, and if a traffic disruption occurs they must keep traffic moving and restore normal service as quickly as possible.
- The global pandemic has emphasized the need of strong and reliable public transport to support front line workers and the public on their journeys.
- Most cities are also counting on public transport to restart their economy in a green and efficient way.
- Therefore metro networks need to be able to boost capacity, meeting growing demand without interrupting day-to-day operations.
- Rail operators face many challenges including keeping pace with rapidly evolving technology: while a signalling system may have a lifespan of 30 years or more, the hardware and software on it, can become obsolete much more quickly. They also need ways to manage the lifecycle of their systems.
- Thales’ SelTrac™ G8 is designed to alleviate these issues. It includes a set of advanced features that allow public transport operators to manage network growth, extensions, and fleet expansions as well as prepare for the future and control operations.
- SelTrac™ G8 has a new digital architecture with flexible options designed to minimize the amount of trackside equipment required.
- Transport operators who will deploy SelTrac™ G8 can benefit from lifelong system improvements, by simply upgrading the software.
- The G8 platform can also provide an upgrade to existing SelTrac™ systems.
- G8 provides investment protection by enabling seamless future technology insertion for performance upgrades or obsolescence management.
- SelTrac™ G8 brings enhanced services, to support operators to achieve 100% availability and on time service.
- Services capabilities including: health monitoring features for leaner maintenance teams and faster response capability, increased resiliency to failure with greater visibility of seamless hardware and software enhancements to extend the system life with no interruption to operations.
- Among other improvements, the SelTrac™ G8 platform is autonomy ready. One of the autonomous capabilities is designed to make both greenfield and brownfield CBTC deployments faster and easier than ever, with rapid train conversion and minimal trackside equipment.
“Since its introduction on the urban rail market, SelTracTM has become a global benchmark. With this new generation of the SelTracTM system, Thales is supporting the digital transformation of urban rail operators by delivering an innovative solution that includes the latest technologies and paves the way for the autonomous train operations of the next 30 years and beyond.” – Alcino de Sousa, VP, Managing Director, Thales’s Urban Rail Signalling.
Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) is a global leader in advanced technologies, investing in digital and “deep tech” innovations – connectivity, big data, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and quantum computing – to build a confident future crucial for the development of our societies. The Group provides its customers – businesses, organisations and governments – in the defense, aeronautics, space, transport, and digital identity and security domains with solutions, services and products that help them fulfil their critical role, consideration for the individual being the driving force behind all decisions.
Thales has 81,000 employees in 68 countries. In 2020 the Group generated sales of €17 billion.
Source: Thales-Press Release