The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved Bangalore Metro Rail Project Phase 2A (Central Silk Board Junction to K.R. Puram) and Phase 2B (K.R. Puram to Airport via Hebbal Junction) of total length 58.19 km. The total completion cost of the project is Rs. 14,788.101 Crore.
- Implementation of the project will provide the much needed additional public transport infrastructure to Bangalore.
- The project will streamline the urban transportation system in Bengaluru, which is stressed due to intensive developments, increase in the number of private vehicles and heavy construction in the city putting stress on travel infrastructure and industrial activities and to provide the people a safe, secure, reliable and comfortable public transport.
- The Metro Project in itself is an innovation over the conventional system of urban transport.
- The project involves integration with other urban transport system in an efficient and effective manner which is possible only by adopting innovative methods of designing, technology and institutional management.
About The project:
- BMRCL is proceeding with the implementation of Phase-2, 2A and 2B of the Mass Rapid Transport System (MATS) for Bengaluru.
- Presently, implementation of Phase-2 project consisting of a total length of 74.84 km is under way, which consists of extension of existing two corridors viz. East-West (Purple line) and North-South (Green Line) Corridors comprising elevated sections and construction of two new lines Reach-5 and Reach-6.
- The East-west Corridor is extended from Mysore Road to Challaghatta in West end and from Baiyappanahalli to ITPL-Whitefield in East end. Similarly, North-South Corridor is extended from Nagasandra to Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (BIEC) in North end and Yelachenahalli to Anjanapura Township in South end. The trains operating on the present East-West and North-South of Bangalore Metro Rail Project (Phase-I) will be extended to operate on these extensions also.
- Two new lines, one of about 18.82 km from R V Road to Bommasandra (Reach-5) and another of about 21.5 km from Gottigere to Nagawara (Reach-6) will be constructed under Phase-2 of the project. Reach-5 is fully elevated with 16 stations and Reach-6 has underground section of approximately 13.75 km with 12 stations and elevated section of about 7.5 km with 6 stations.
- DPR of Phase-2A envisages a New line (ORR Metro Line) between Central Silk Board (CSB) junction and K. R Puram of 19.8 km of Elevated section. Similarly, DPR of Phase-2B envisages an Airport Metro Line as an extension of ORR Metro line from K. R Puram to Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) of 38.4 km Elevated Section.
- Further, BMRCL is in the process of receiving a loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to finance the Rolling Stock, Signalling and PSD works of Reach-6 (Part of Phase-2), Phase-2A and Phase-2B of Bangalore Metro Rail Project.
Details of corridors for which the Rolling Stock, Signalling and PSD works will be funded by JICA are given below:
|SL No.||Corridor Details||No. of Stations||No. of Depots||No. of Trains||Route Length (Km)|
|1||Phase-2, Reach-6: Gottigere to Nagawara (Elevated & Underground)||18* (12 underground & 6 elevated)||1||16 (96 cars)||21.5|
|2||Phase-2A, ORR Line: CSB Junction to K.R. Puram (Elevated)||13* (13 elevated)||1||16 (96 cars)||19.8|
|3||Phase-2B, Airport Line: K.R. Puram – KIA Terminal||18* (16 elevated & 2 at grade)||1||21 (126 cars)||38.4|
Following are the some of the recent tenders invited by the BMRCL for Phase-2 of the project:
- EOI Notification No.: BMRCL/Phase-2/EOI No. 2RS-C
- Name of work: Shortlisting of General Consultant for Rolling Stock Signalling and PSD works of Reach-6 Phase-2A and phase-2B of Bangalore Metro Rail Project.
- Contract Period: 89 Months
- Tender No.: BMRCL/Phase-2/NCB Bid No. 3RS-C
- Name of work: Consultancy Services for Inspection of Manufacturing Activities, Witnessing of Factory Tests, First Article Inspections and Factory Acceptance Tests of Rolling Stock and its Sub-Systems for the Rolling Stock being procured for BMRCL Phase-2 Network.
- Contract Period: 21 Months
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): BMRCL