In another major boost to ‘Digital India’ initiative, Western Railway has added yet another feather to its cap. WR’s Mumbai Central Division has introduced the Unified Command and Control Centre (UCCC), which is located at Mumbai Central. This state-of-the art technology with advanced features will enable data collection, data monitoring and help in taking real time decisions, thereby, improving the safety and resource optimization.
- This achievement has been initiated and made possible under the aegis & able guidance as well as visionary leadership of Shri Alok Kansal – General Manager of Western Railway.
- According to a press release issued by Shri Sumit Thakur – Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway, the Unified Command and Control Centre (UCCC) developed by Mumbai Division of WR is a unique initiative on Indian Railways, which encompasses several advanced & state of the art features.
- Lacing a floor area of 587 sq. m the UCCC is designed aesthetically with ergonomic features and modern, state of art ambience.
- It comprises of three distinct areas, viz.
- Centre comprises of segmented video walls in 9 columns and 2 rows and with 18 nos. of 55-inch TVs and 8 control work stations for monitoring the core areas consisting of Operations and Safety, Customer Delight, Health and Security, Capacity Expansion & Developmental Works, Asset Management of both Fixed & Rolling Infrastructure, Finance, HR & Procurement, Monitoring of Nandurbar Area and Monitoring of Valsad Area.
- The IT Centre comprises of 16 work stations for continual improvement and Application development while the Disaster Management cum Meeting Room is a 30-seater conference facility with interactive audio, visual hardware and software tools.
Salient features of the Unified Command and Control Centre (UCCC):
- Integrates Information Systems across the core functions of Railways – Operations; Commercial; Asset Management of both the Fixed and rolling Infrastructure viz track, signal and telecom, traction, power systems, locomotives, coaches and wagons, maintenance depots and stations; Finance; HR; procurement and produces robust data-driven cross functional visualization tool kits for enhancing the immediate, medium and long-term all-round performance of the Division.
- The visualization analytics were developed purely inhouse by Mumbai Division, leveraging on the existing IT systems and developing customized databases, wherever necessary.
- UCCC also unifies, through dedicated communications and IT application packages, the dispersed geographical control jurisdictions of Mumbai Central Control; Valsad Control Area and Nandurbar Control Area, which is spread across diverse but distinct operational areas covering Mumbai to Surat and Surat to Jalgaon.
- UCCC also provides for a Centralized Event Management System, including monitoring, remote management and trouble shooting of the 2700v CCTV network being developed under the Integrated Surveillance System on the Mumbai Suburban system, which transports over 3 million passengers every day on its core system from Churchgate to Virar.
- UCCC provides for a seamless facility for Disaster Management on Mumbai Division with streaming information on almost every aspect of relevance, including flooding, rainfall, trespassing and communication with external agencies.
Shri Thakur stated that the Unified Command and Control Centre (UCCC) was inaugurated by Shri Suneet Sharma Chairman & CEO, Railway Board on his recent review visit to Western Railway on 7th November, 2021. Shri Sharma was very much impressed with the UCCC and was full of praises for this advanced technology.
Source: Western Railway-Press Release