Western Railway’s Parcel Express trains are on the move as per the timetable inspite of the difficult time in the wake of COVID-19. Western Railway is transporting most essential items like medical equipment, medicines, food grains etc across the nation, as it has always been fully committed to the needs of its customers.
- Also, WR is ensuring the supply of milk and milk products to different parts of the country through its milk special trains.
- In continuation to this, one more parcel special train left from Karambeli to New Guwahati on 11th June 2020.
According to a press release issued by Shri Ravinder Bhakar – Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Rly, since 23rd March to 10th June, 2020, commodities weighing approx. 54 thousand tonnes have been transported by Western Rly through its 326 parcel special trains, which included agricultural produce, medicines, fish, milk etc.
- The earnings generated through this transportation, has been approx Rs 17.16 crore.
- During this period, 41 milk special trains were run by Western Rly, with a load of more than 30 thousand tonnes and 100% utilization of the wagons, generating revenue of approx Rs 5.24 crore.
- Similarly, 280 Covid-19 special parcel trains with a load of above 21 thousand tonnes were also run to transport essential commodities, for which the revenue earned was Rs 10.85 crore.
- In addition to this, 5 indented rakes carrying 2378 tonnes were also run with 100% utilization generating revenue of more than Rs 1.07 crore.
- He apprised that during the lockdown period from 22nd March till 10th June, 2020, total 5988 rakes of goods trains have been used by WR to supply essential commodities amounting to 11.93 million tonnes.
11,813 freight trains have been interchanged with other zonal railways, in which 5,946 trains were handed over and 5,867 trains taken over at different interchange points. 327 Millennium Parcel rakes of Parcel Vans / Railway Milk Tankers (RMTs) have been sent to different parts of the country to supply as per the demands of essential items such as milk powder, liquid milk and other general consumer goods.
LOSS OF PASSENGER EARNINGS DUE TO LOCKDOWN
Shri Bhakar stated that the total loss of earnings over Western Railway on account of Corona Virus, has been over Rs 1261 crore, which includes Rs 179.63 crore for suburban section and Rs 1081.59 crore for non-suburban. Inspite of this, resulting to cancellation of tickets till now, Western Railway has ensured to return refund amount of Rs. 328.64 crore. It’s worth mentioning that in this refund amount, Mumbai division alone, has ensured refund of Rs 153.38 crore. Till now, 50.35 lakh passengers have cancelled their tickets over entire Western Railway & have received their refund amount accordingly.
SHRAMIK SPECIAL TRAINS ON WR
Western Railway has operated 1220 SHRAMIK SPL trains from 2nd May, 2020 to 10th June, 2020, which have carried 18.33 lakh passengers to their desired destinations. Out of these 1220 trains, Mumbai division has handled highest 708 trains, Ahmedabad division 259, Vadodara division 100, Bhavnagar division 30, Rajkot division 117 and Ratlam division 6 Shramik trains. On 10th June, 2020, WR operated 1 Shramik Special from Gujarat to Jharkand.
Source: Western Railway-Press Release