Alstom, a global leader in smart and sustainable mobility, has launched three key initiatives to provide education, support skill development and improve awareness about health care practices, to local children, youth and women residing in and around Madhepura, Bihar.
- Effective July 2023, these projects are being executed in partnership with The American India Foundation Trust (AIF), SEEDS Impact and Learning Links Foundation (LLF). It is set to impact the lives of more than 3,300 women and youth from the rural communities across seven villages.
Imparting best practices in women’s health and hygiene to young adolescent girls:
- Anaemia and poor menstrual hygiene practices have considerably impacted young adolescent girls in rural India. Through the partnership with The American India Foundation Trust (AIF), special efforts will be undertaken to impart menstrual hygiene practices to over 2500 girls.
- This intervention will include sensitization and orientation of adolescent girls, distribution of reusable sanitary napkins and a lucky iron leaf, which is developed specifically to infuse iron while cooking meals. This will help in reducing cases of anaemia while improving mental and physical capacity, thereby enhancing work and educational performance.
Providing industry endorsed vocational trainings to upskill youth:
- Over the years, industry ready skill development has emerged as a key need in Madhepura and the surrounding villages. SEEDS Impact will impart industry endorsed vocational training to minimally educated youth on trades such as Sewing Machine Operation, Solar PV installation & electrician.
- This will be followed by formal certification and employment, thereby mainstreaming their career, and empowering them socially and economically. With a target of around 270 rural youth, SEEDS will aim to achieve employability offering to minimum 70% of certified youth.
Implementing STEAM Shakti program in Govt schools to encourage innovation mindset among students:
- STEM education, which is a curriculum that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, has a huge potential in India. Alstom is working with Learning Links Foundation (LLF) to implement STEAM Shakti program in Govt schools at Madhepura to benefit over 600 students.
- This project will promote an innovation mindset, scientific temperament and inculcate 21st century life-skills for holistic development of rural students while building capabilities of teachers for integrating STEAM practices in pedagogical approaches.
- Alstom is committed to extending its philanthropic support by promoting and funding initiatives that improve the living conditions and economic possibilities of communities around Alstom’s facilities.
- Through consistent efforts, Alstom has played an instrumental role in providing better infrastructural amenities to schools, training programs for children and spreading awareness on sanitation and hygiene. These initiatives are carried out in close collaboration with local or international NGOs who have a track record of successfully implementing initiatives on the ground.
Commenting on Alstom’s focus on impacting communities in Madhepura, Mr. Olivier Loison, Managing Director, Alstom India said, “Madhepura is India’s eloco capital as it is home to our world-class electric locomotive manufacturing facility. We understand the community needs in not just Madhepura but the towns and villages surrounding it as well, given our consistent CSR contribution over the last few years. This year, our projects will further positively impact the lives of the people as we have initiated concerted efforts towards improving healthcare, education, and skill development. We are not only building a brighter future for the beneficiaries, but also laying the foundation for a stronger and more sustainable society.”
About Alstom in India:
- Alstom is the only multinational sustainable mobility provider in India, to have a comprehensive portfolio of offerings to meet customer specific needs, from cost-efficient mass-market platforms to high-end technological innovations.
- Synonymous with the country’s ‘Rail Revolution’, Alstom continues to be a strategic partner in supporting India’s freight revolution and passenger movement. With 6 industrial sites and 4 major engineering centres, the company not only caters to domestic project needs, but also delivers for many international projects.
- Supporting the government’s modernization initiatives, Alstom has been at the forefront of introducing several breakthrough technologies in India with world class rolling stock, rail equipment & infrastructure, signalling and services.
- Fully aligned with the country’s vision of Make-in-India and Aatmanirbhar Bharat, Alstom remains deeply committed to strengthening its local sourcing and supply chain ecosystem.
- Alstom commits to contribute to a low carbon future by developing and promoting innovative and sustainable transportation solutions that people enjoy riding.
- From high-speed trains, metros, monorails, trams, to turnkey systems, services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility, Alstom offers its diverse customers the broadest portfolio in the industry.
- With its presence in 63 countries and a talent base of over 80,000 people from 175 nationalities, the company focuses its design, innovation, and project management skills to where mobility solutions are needed most. Listed in France, Alstom generated revenues of €16.5 billion for the fiscal year ending on 31 March 2023.
Source: Alstom- Press Release | Images Credit: Alstom