Alstom has successfully delivered the first train set for the Bhopal–Indore metro project to Madhya Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MPMRCL). Built in record time of fourteen and a half months from its Notice To Proceed (NTP), this train set will be deployed to Indore, which is set to be operational from April 2024.
- The mock-up car was unveiled at Smart City Park, Bhopal on 26 August 2023, by Hon’ble Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh in the presence of MPMRCL, the General Consultant and Alstom.
- The second train set, expected to be delivered by 20th September 2023, will be deployed to Bhopal. These ultramodern, light-weight trains will operate at a top speed of 80 km/h, across the 31 km line in Bhopal with 30 stations and the 31.5 km line in Indore with 29 stations. 27 of the 3 car configuration trainsets, will be for Bhopal while 25 train sets will be for Indore. The trains have a 50-passenger seating & 300 standing capacity.
- Under the ‘Make in India’ campaign, the Bhopal–Indore Metro train sets are being manufactured 100% indigenously at Alstom’s state-of-the-art rolling stock manufacturing facility at Savli, Gujarat. As a part of the contract awarded in July 2022:
- Alstom is responsible for the design, manufacturing, supply, installation, test, and commissioning of 52 standard gauge Movia metro passenger train sets of 3-car configuration each, with 15 years of comprehensive maintenance.
- Valued at €387 million (over INR 3200 crores), this order includes installation of the latest generation of Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) signalling system as well as train control and telecommunication systems; each with seven years of comprehensive maintenance.
- This is the second such combined order in India for Alstom, after the Agra–Kanpur metro projects.
Commenting on the delivery update, Mr. Olivier Loison, Managing Director, Alstom India said, “It is a proud moment for us to deliver the first train set for the Bhopal-Indore metro project in advance. Bhopal and Indore has been recognised as a smart city in India, and the addition of metro will modernise the city infrastructure notably. These trains will ensure a safe, reliable, efficient, and affordable mass transport system, while also promoting economic activity. Alstom is India’s long-standing partner in the journey towards sustainable mobility and we are looking forward to further strengthening this partnership by redefining the mass transportation needs of Madhya Pradesh.”
- The Movia metro family offers the latest technology combined with proven and reliable components, and has been operational in numerous global cities, including London, Delhi, Stockholm, and Singapore.
- These air-conditioned cars are developed with a strong emphasis on eco-friendly design to eliminate hazardous substances providing a safer environment for passengers. The trains are powered with modern energy efficient propulsion systems with regenerative braking, making them a sustainable alternative to other modes of transport, thus reducing energy consumption.
- Features such as ambient lighting and smart light solutions further help in energy saving. Train Control and Management System (TCMS) has been adopted with an automatic track inspection system embedded to ensure error free and high speed data transmission.
- Highest standards of safety and security have been ensured with continuous CCTV surveillance and a direct communication channel with the train operator and the control centre, in case of distress.
- The intelligent CCTV features also include unattended object identification and empty train detection (passenger counting in Emergency evacuation). The trains also have dedicated wheelchair space for specially abled persons.
- Alstom India has a rich legacy of successfully delivering world-class metro trains for major cities, including Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Lucknow, Kochi in India, as well Sydney, Queensland, and Montreal. The company is currently manufacturing metro trains for Agra-Kanpur, and Mumbai Metro Line 3, and modern train sets for India’s first semi high-speed Delhi-Meerut RRTS project.
Source: Alstom- Press Release | Image Credit: Alstom