Southern Railway has taken up station redevelopment projects to offer world class facilities to its passengers, in line with this Rameswaram Station redevelopment works progressing at a steady pace.
In order to offer globally competitive infrastructure, ambience and facilities for rail passengers, Southern Railway has taken up Station Redevelopment projects.
The transformation of Rameswaram Railway Station is poised to revolutionise the travel experience of rail passengers, given its status as a renowned pilgrimage site and popular tourist destination. Tender was awarded for the redevelopment work in September 2022 and the work has begun and progressing at a steady pace.
- Revamping of existing Waiting hall building-Stage 1 Completed, Stage-II area after shifting of PR Counter to East Terminal Building.
- Master plan Validation completed. Identification of utilities which requires shifting for phase-I components completed.
- Parcel office roof slab and plastering work completed.
- Existing platform shelter removed at FOB area.
- Officers Rest House-Pile cap concreting completed.
Works in Progress:
- Multi-functional Complex Building- Firefighting, fire alarm, Extra Low Voltage (ELV) Systems & signage work in progress.
- Proposed Parcel Office Building–Plumbing, painting and tiling work in progress
- Substation Building –Plastering Work In Progress
- Residential Tower–FF column and roof slab shuttering work in progress.
- Officers Rest House–GF column and roof slab shuttering works in progress.
- East Terminal and Departure for ecourt Pile & Pile cap work in progress with 237/621 piles being placed.
- Sewage Treatment Plant- Wall reinforcement & shuttering work on progress.
- Desalination plant-Wall reinforcement & shuttering work on progress.
Rameswaram Station Redevelopment:
The work of Redevelopment of Rameswaram Railway station was awarded as EPC contract to M/s Sabari URC JV, Coimbatore at a cost of Rs.90.20 Crores. M/s TUV India Private Limited, Mumbai have been tasked with the work of Project Management services (PMS) at a cost of Rs. 4.41 Crore.
Two terminals are proposed to be constructed, one at the East and one at the North side. The East Terminal Building is proposed as a G+2 structure, with G+6 foundation, accommodating world class amenities like waiting lounge, ticketing area, commercial area, Railway offices and Roof plaza etc.
Segregation of departing and arrival passengers, adequate Lifts and escalators are planned in this building. The Proposed North Terminal building houses a prepaid taxi counter, Railway offices and various helpline centres. Surface Parking planned with separate driveway to parking.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): MoR