Southern Railway completed the first floor slab for service building, site topographical survey, drone survey, soil investigation and validation of Master Plan for the redevelopment of Kollam Junction.
Kollam Junction railway station is one of the busiest railheads in Kerala. Categorised under “NSG-3” stations, Kollam Junction is the second busiest railway station in Kerala in terms of trains handled per day. Kollam Junction witnesses an average footfall of 1.6 crore per annum which corresponds to nearly 47000 footfalls daily.
In order to handle the ever increasing passenger volumes, Southern Railway has taken up the redevelopment project of Kollam Junction. The revamped station will sport state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure on par with international standards.
- All the mandatory clearances have been obtained
- Site topographical survey, drone survey, soil investigation and Validation of Master plan completed
- PMS services were awarded and started functioning from Nov 2022
- Demolition of offices completed for facilitating the construction of MLCP, UG sump, Parcel Office & South Terminal Segment -1
- Site office, Laboratory facilities, Storage facilities completed.
- Construction of Gang rest room completed and commissioned.
- Structural work for SSE/Works Office completed.
- First floor slab for Service building completed
- 200 Out of 217 piles for Multi level Car Parking completed
Work in Progress:
- Substation work reached foundation level.
- FOB foundation in progress in PF 1 and 4 & 5
- GAD for Air concourse under finalisation
- Design of foundation for South Terminal and Parcel office under finalisation.
Images Credit: Southern Railway
Roadmap to Kollam Junction Redevelopment:
The work of Re-development of Kollam Junction Railway Station was awarded as an EPC contract to M/s RITES – SCWPL (JV), Bangalore for an amount of RS.361.18 Crore on 26.08.2022.
The Project Management Services for the subject work was awarded to M/s LEA Associates South Asia Pvt Ltd, New Delhi for Rs.7.94 Cr. The completion period of the project is 39 months. The PMS consultant is responsible for monitoring the project.
The redevelopment project of Kollam Junction is planned at the Southern side and Northern Side of the existing station building. Southern and Northern Terminal buildings will help in segregation of operation related administrative and commercial activities from the passenger movement and will host amenities on par with world class standards.
The newly developed Kollam junction station will have ample number of lifts and escalators, multi-level car parking, pick up and drop off facilities and dedicated arrival and departure concourse.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Featured Image Credit (representational): MoR