Southern Railway has taken up the redevelopment work of Ernakulam Junction and the tender for the work was awarded in August 2022. Till now various works including surveys and PMC services have been completed.
Ernakulam Junction Railway Station (also known as Ernakulam South Station) is one of the busiest Railway Junction Stations in South India with more than 128 scheduled daily train services. Southern Railway has taken up the redevelopment work of Ernakulam Junction and the tender for the work was awarded in August 2022.
The redevelopment works are being expedited at a steady pace with a vision to modernise the major railhead with futuristic designs, infrastructure and to provide best facilities to passengers.
Recent works carried out:
- Shifting of booking counter , reservation counters , entrance and enquiry to new locations.
- Diversion of traffic from main entrance to new entrance near Area Manager office.
- Diversion of parking to new locations to facilitate piling of West Terminal Building.
- Barricading works at West Terminal Building.
Work in progress:
- Demolition of existing station building.
- Piling in progress for West Terminal building- (96/408)
- Piling in progress for East Terminal building- (81/121)
- Piling in progress for Service Building- (56/58)
- Roof casting done for Office building and brick work in progress.
- Piling completed for SSE/PWay & SSE/Tele office and column work in progress.
- Piling completed for P Way Depot and pile cap work in progress.
- Piling completed for Multi-Level Car Parking (MLCP) and pile chipping in progress.
Works already carried out:
- Project Management Consultancy office completed and occupied by the agency.
- Test Pile Concreting for service building, Multi-level Car Parking, West Terminal, Skywalk, East Terminal and other railway offices has been completed and initial pile load test completed.
- Topographical survey, Soil Exploration, Drone survey completed for the project site.
- Right of Way for the EPC contractor provided for the entire work: West terminal, East Terminal, Multi-level Car Parking (MLCP), Office Building & ServiceBuilding, proposed Skywalk from Metro Station, STP and Concourses.
- All the mandatory clearances were obtained from civic authorities.
- Staff quarters were demolished and alternate accommodation for residents provided.
- Existing station building was demolished for a length of 50 m to start the construction of the West Terminal Building.
Ernakulam Junction Redevelopment:
The work of “Redevelopment of Ernakulam Junction Railway Station” was awarded as an EPC contract to M/s Bridge and Roof Company India Ltd for RS.299.95 Crore on 13.07.2022. The work is targeted for completion on 31.07.2025.
With superior infrastructure, futuristic facilities, and a pleasing ambience, the redeveloped Ernakulam Junction will meet the needs of modern travellers. Two terminals and a Multilevel car parking is proposed to be constructed. The terminals will be equipped with ticketing area, Waiting Lounges, commercial area, various Railway offices, skywalk and concourses.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): Southern Railway