BEML handed over the first rake of indigenously built Rail Grinding Machine (RGM96) to M/s Loram Maintenance By Way, USA from its manufacturing facility located in KGF Rail Coach Unit II in the presence of Mr. Amit Banerjee, Chairman & Managing Director, BEML and Mr. Jon Behrens, Assistant Vice President, Loram, USA.
- This is the first time RGM96 is being manufactured outside of the USA. The machine is likely to be commissioned into service by Indian Railways, shortly. This machine will operate at 100 kmph during hauling and 22 kmph during Grinding operations.
- The life cycle of the track would increase by minimum 25% which results in substantial savings to Indian Railways.
- The self-propelled RGM96 is meant for grinding the Rails in corrective and preventive mode to improve the worn-out profile of Rail head and to remove fatigue material having micro cracks and other surface defects.
- The 8 car Rake consists of 1 Front Control Car, 4 Grind Cars, 1 Water Wagon & 2 camp coaches. The Railway Board placed a contract on M/s. LORAM for supply of 10 rakes of 96 stones RGM (RGM96) machines to Indian Railways.
- Under the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative’ of GoI, M/s LORAM partnered with BEML for local manufacturing.
- BEML Limited is a leading multi-technology ‘Schedule A’ company under the Ministry of Defence, plays a pivotal role in serving India’s core sectors like Defence, Rail, Power, Mining and Construction by offering world class products.
- BEML operates in three verticals viz. Defence & Aerospace, Mining & Construction and Rail & Metro and has state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities located at Bangalore, Kolar Gold Fields (KGF), Mysore, Palakkad.
- BEML has very strong R&D infrastructure. BEML also has a nationwide network of sales and services.
- M/s. Loram is one of the leading suppliers of track maintenance machinery and services across the globe.
- It has specialisation in Rail Grinding Machine, Shoulder Ballast Cleaning Machine & Services and has already supplied heavy duty Rail grinding Machine and are in service with Indian Railways.
Source: BEML- Press Release | Images Credit: BEML