Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety, Shri Janak Kumar Garg, has granted authorization for the commencement of public carriage of passenger traffic with Electronic Interlocking ( EI system) along the Kavi Subhash to Hemanta Mukhopadhyay stretch of the Orange Line of Kolkata Metro. Following a thorough inspection conducted on February 7th, 2024, Shri Garg has given the green light for this crucial phase of metro expansion.
Shri Janak Kumar Garg, Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety (CCRS), has accorded his authorisation for commencement of public carriage of passenger traffic with Electronic Interlocking (EI) System in between Kavi Subhash to Hemanta Mukhopadhyay stretch of Orange Line of Metro Railway (Kolkata), after conducting his mandatory inspection.
He conducted this inspection on 7th Feb, 2024 and gave his nod afterwards. Previously, authorisation to start one train only system without any signal on this stretch was given and now CCRS has given his authorisation to open public carriage of passenger with EI on both UP and DN lines in the above section with ‘One Train only System’ as Metro Railway has compiled all the conditions required for this. This authorisation is valid for a period of one year.
- He has given some observations after conducting his inspection of Purple Line from Taratala to Majerhat on 04.02.2024 to extend this corridor up to Majerhat and also to start public carriage of passenger traffic with EI system from Joka to Majerhat.
- He has advised to display signages at proper locations at Majerhat station. All his observations will be compiled very shortly to get the final approval from him to extend this Corridor up to Majerhat.
- Shri Garg has made almost the same observations for Howrah Maidan to Esplanade stretch of Green Line.
- He has advised to put proper signages for guiding passenger movements of Eastern Railway from Howrah station to Howrah Metro station.
- For the convenience of Divyangjan, he has advised to put signages and markings at Divyagjan Drop Off points at all stations.
- Metro Authorities will comply with all these observations very shortly and a compliance report will be sent to CCRS to get the final nod to start commercial services in between Howrah Maidan to Esplanade stretch of Green Line as early as possible.
The approval from the Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety marks a significant milestone in Kolkata Metro’s ongoing efforts to enhance its infrastructure and provide efficient, safe, and accessible transportation for the citizens of Kolkata. With meticulous planning and adherence to safety standards, the Metro Railway is poised to continue its expansion efforts, ensuring seamless connectivity and convenience for commuters across the city.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): Kolkata Metro