Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) achieved a monumental milestone in the realm of Indian metro rail construction by introducing the revolutionary Puller Axle System. This pioneering initiative, a first of its kind in the country, unfolded as part of the CMRL Phase-2, Corridor-3 project, spanning from Nehru Nagar to Sholinganallur – EV-01.
In a ground-breaking milestone, Chennai Metro Rail has achieved a remarkable feat by introducing an advanced puller axle system for the transportation and erection of a massive 30m U girder to a height of 20m using advanced crane technology – a first-of-its-kind endeavour in Indian metro projects in CMRL Phase-2, Corridor-3 from Nehru Nagar to Sholinganallur – EV-01 (Elevated Viaduct).
Larsen & Toubro the Contractor:
- M/s Larsen & Toubro has been awarded the contract for the project. This is the longest ‘U’ girder span among other Metros.
- The entire process marks a historic milestone in the Indian metro construction landscape, showcasing the capabilities and expertise of the CMRL & M/s Larsen & Toubro project team.
- The successful deployment of the puller axle technology in transporting and erecting the 30m U girder highlights the CMRL & M/s Larsen & Toubro project team’s commitment to pushing the boundaries of innovation.
Significance of the Initiative:
- This Special fabricated trailer made solely for the OMR stretch with 12 axles each with 8 tyres totalling to 96 tyres meticulously distributed across two axles.
- The puller axle not only emphasises CMRL’s unwavering commitment to excellence but also establishes a new benchmark in metro construction, ensures optimal weight distribution, stability, and flexibility during the seamless transportation of the 185MT U Girder.
- As the project team continues to pioneer innovative solutions, this achievement not only symbolises a historic milestone for the Indian metro sector but also underscores the capability of the nation to execute complex and ambitious projects with precision and expertise. This breakthrough reinforces Chennai’s position at the forefront of metro rail innovation, setting a precedent for future infrastructure endeavours in the country.
The first longest ‘U’ Girder span was erected between Okkiyampet and Karapakkam on (10-01-2024). Mr. T. Archunan, Director (Projects), CMRL along with officials and staff of CMRL, GC and M/s Larsen & Toubro were present during the occasion.
Source: CMRL- Press Release | Images Credit: CMRL
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.