The Factory Acceptance Test of 4th and last Tunnel Boring Machine of the corridor which is 2nd TBM for UG-02 package is successfully done in presence of Mr. R. Ranganathan, General Manager (Construction) CMRL along with various officials from General Consultants, M/s AEON Consortium at HK factory in Thiruvallur District, Ponneri Thaluk, Alinjivakkam village, Chennai.
- Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL’s) ambitious Phase-II for a network of 116.1 km is a gargantuan feat undertaken at one stretch and a first of its kind in India with 119 Metro Stations in three corridors namely:
- Corridor-3 (From Madhavaram to Siruseri -SIPCOT) – 45.8KM
- Corridor-4 (From Light House to Poonamalee Bypass) – 26.1 KM
- Corridor-5 (From Madhavaram to Sholinganallur) – 47 KM
- Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has been implementing the construction of underground metro rail project corridor 4 from Light House Station at Marina Beach to Kodambakkam Flyover.
- The underground section of this corridor is split into two packages (UG-01 & UG-02) each of which contains 4 KM of twin tunnels. In order to complete the approximately 16 KM of tunnelling, four Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) have been proposed to execute the entire tunnelling of approximately 16 KM considering both Upline & Downline tunnels.
- These Tunnel Boring Machines manufactured by reputable German company M/s Herrenknecht, a pioneer in the production of TBMs for various types of the tunnelling needs and assembled at Herrenknecht India Pvt. Ltd. (HAI) located at Chennai, will be used by CMRL’s contractor M/s ITD Cementation India Limited.
- The name of this Tunnel Boring Machine is S1075B which is a 6.670 M bore diameter and 110 m long Earth Pressure Balance Machine. The total weight of this machine is approximately 700 MT which will now be dismantled in parts, packed and transported to its destination at Panagal Park Station, T Nagar.
- The construction of the TBM launching Shaft is under progress at Panagal Park Station and is expected to be ready to lower and assemble the TBM in the month of October 2023.
- This TBM will be launched in Online of this corridor-4 and will mine at a maximum depth of 26 m below ground starting from Boat Club, Nandanam, Panagal Park, Kodambkkam and finally scheduled to arrive at retrieval shaft after Kodambakkam Flyover in Sept 2024.
Source: CMRL- Press Release | Image Credit: Chennai Metro