Dr. Amit Kumar Jain has assumed charge as the new Director (Operations & Services) of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC). An Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS) officer of the year 2000, Dr. Jain has over two decades of experience in numerous key leadership positions. Prior to taking up this role, he was working as General Manager, Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
- Earlier he had also worked as the Head of Operations for the Delhi Division of Railways and as Director – Railway Board. Dr. Jain worked with DMRC from 2009 to 2015 as Deputy Head of Department in Operations and Maintenance as well as Principal, Training School.
- He has done his Ph.D. in Urban Transportation from SPA, Delhi, M.Tech from IIT Delhi, and B.E in Civil Engg from IIT Roorkee. He is a gold medallist from IIT Roorkee.
- Dr. Jain has authored books titled ‘Excellence in Metro Operations and Management – Best Practices world over, ‘Exploring Life@2050” and ‘Intelligent Transportation Systems’. He is a regular contributor to newspaper columns and journals.
- He has also developed a digital transformation strategy for Iranian Railways as a Rail Digitalization expert with UNESCAP. He is on the Government of India’s ‘National Pool of Trainers on Leadership’. He is a visiting faculty to various institutes including LBSNAA-Mussoorie, TERI, IIT Mumbai, IEG, NAIR, IRITM, SPA Delhi, and IUT Delhi.
About Delhi Metro:
- The Delhi Metro has been instrumental in ushering in a new era in the sphere of mass urban transportation in India. The swanky and modern Metro system introduced comfortable, air conditioned and eco-friendly services for the first time in India and completely revolutionized the mass transportation scenario not only in the National Capital Region but the entire country.
- Having constructed a massive network of about 390.14 Km with 286 stations (including NOIDA-Greater NOIDA Corridor and Rapid Metro, Gurugram) in record time in Delhi, NCR, the DMRC today stands out as a shining example of how a mammoth technically complex infrastructure project can be completed before time and within budgeted cost by a Government agency.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited (DMRC) was registered on 3rd May 1995 under the Companies Act, 1956 with equal equity participation of the Government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) and the Central Government to implement the dream of construction and operation of a world- class Mass Rapid Transport System (MRTS).
- The Airport Express link between the Indira Gandhi International Airport and New Delhi has now propelled Delhi to the league of global cities which have high speed rail connectivity between the city and the airport. The DMRC today has over 300 train sets of four, six and eight coaches.
Source: DMRC- Press Release