The Howrah Goods Cabin which was earlier operated by lever frame interlocking has been replaced with panel interlocking and named as Howrah Link Cabin.
- This conversion is a part of Eastern Railway’s endeavour for replacing old interlocking systems with modern panel or electronic interlocking systems where the logic for controlling the signals is ensured electrically or electronically rather than mechanically.
- This is a step forward towards ensuring safety in train operation. This panel interlocking of Howrah Link cabin with 4th line connectivity to Tikiapara has been commissioned on 27.8.2023.
- This work will not only augment safety of train operations but at the same time will ensure reduced operational response time as well as more flexibility in routes in mail express and suburban train services with SER by providing 4 th line with Tikiapara.
- The salient features of panel interlocking for Howrah Link Cabin are as follows:
- No. of running line – 7
- Type of signalling – Multi Aspect Colour Light Signals
- No. of routes – 48
- Block signalling with continuous track circuit for better safety
- 15 Motor points for replacing lever operated points
- Data logger for monitoring.
- MSDAC for track detection.
- The panel for the Howrah link cabin has been accommodated at Howrah RRI Cabin. Provision of an additional line with Tikiapara has been made by modifying the circuit for existing route relay interlocking at Howrah. This project is a long pending one but very significant for capacity augmentation.
Shri Amar Prakash Dwivedi, General Manager, Eastern Railway has congratulated all those departments involved in this project in general and Signal & Telecom Department in particular for executing this critical but necessary signalling upgrade smoothly.
Source: Eastern Railway- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Eastern Railway