- Shri P. Uday Kumar Reddy, General Manager, Metro Railway welcomed Hon’ble Railway Minister at Howrah Maidan Metro station this evening and apprised him about the progress of works of this stretch.
- Shri Reddy briefed the Hon’ble Minister about the tunnel ventilation system, tunnel lighting system, power supply system as well as train operations that will start soon on this stretch with the help of 3-D model and diagrams.
- Shri Vaishnaw inspected this station and enquired about the state-of-the-art passenger amenities that are going to be provided here. After completing the inspection of Howrah Maidan station, the Hon’ble Minister undertook a trolley inspection through the tunnel and reached Howrah station, which is going to be the deepest Metro station in India.
- This Metro station has been built 33 mtrs. below the surface and has 4 underground levels over 5 lakh sq.ft. area. Once commissioned, this station is going to be the gateway of Kolkata apart from Sealdah Metro station which has already been commissioned.
- Hon’ble Railway Minister also inspected under the River tunnel which has been built 16-m below the River Hooghly. Terming it as an engineering marvel, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw expressed his happiness seeing the progress of work and hoped that East-West Metro will soon provide the ultimate transportation solution to the people of a busy and congested city like Kolkata. Once commissioned, this Metro Corridor will connect twin cities Howrah and Kolkata and carry 6.7 lakhs passengers daily at the start of services over the entire corridor.
- Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw completed his inspection at Esplanade and expressed his hope that this 4.8-km long stretch of East-West Metro from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade will be opened for the general public by December 2023 after the inspection of Commissioner of Railway Safety.
- Interacting with the media persons at Howrah Maidan Metro station he has categorically informed that all the Metro projects in the city have been allocated enough funds and Central Government has been monitoring the progress of works of all Metro projects minutely.
- All senior officers of Metro Railway, Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited were present during this visit of Railway Minister.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro