Giving a major boost to development of the North-Eastern Region, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, Hon’ble Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Govt. of India, inaugurated a Riverfront Passenger Jetty near the Bogibeel Rail cum Road Bridge, constructed by Railways in Dibrugarh.
- The inauguration programme was attended by Shri Rameswar Teli, Hon’ble Minister of State of Labour & Employment, Govt. of India. The General Manager of N.F. Railway Shri Anshul Gupta, Divisional Railway Manager of Tinsukia division Shri Bijaya Kumar Mishra, senior railway officials and officials from Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways were also present at the occasion.
- While inaugurating the Riverfront Jetty at Bogibeel, Hon’ble Minister Shri Sarbananda Sonowal requested railways for similar facilities at Pandu, Jogighopa and Dhubri while praising the successful development of the passenger jetty by N.F. Railway. He thanked the General Manager, N.F. Railway and Divisional Railway Manager, Tinsukia for successful commissioning of the passenger jetty.
Shri Anshul Gupta, General Manager of N.F. Railway, on the occasion announced the plan for development of New Tinsukia and Dibrugarh Railway stations as per world class standard. Dhamalgaon station is also planned to be developed for enhancing tourism at Bogibeel, the General Manager said. He also promised all-round socio-economic development of the region. Bogibeel will be developed as a Gati Shakti unit for handling freight and passenger traffic in a multimodal concept, he added.
- The project to develop the river site near the Bogibeel Bridge is a major step towards integrated connectivity between railways and waterways under mission ‘Gati Shakti’ launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister. Promotion of local tourism & culture and mobility of business activities in and around Bogibeel area will also get an impetus.
- The project will also lead to development of a multimodal transport hub for the North-eastern region and will boost tourism prospects in the upper Assam and Arunachal Pradesh areas. This will facilitate transportation of goods and reduce travel time and cost for movement of people.
- The work for development of the riverfront at Bogibeel was taken up by the N.F. Railway as a result of a meeting held in October last year with the Union Minister Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), Inland Water Transport, Govt. of Assam. The entire project is being implemented downstream of the Bogibeel Bridge site on the South bank.
- The project will lead cargo movement facilitating waterways transportation of materials further transportation through railways to the destinations. The Riverfront facility developed also has immense potential to evolve as a Tourist Hub.
- Exciting water sports like boating, cruise available at the jetty will provide a bunch of fascination to tourists and the general public. Amenities like restaurants, toilets, parking etc. would also benefit the public at large.
Source: Northeast Frontier Railway -Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR