The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of multiple development and railway projects worth more than Rs 12,100 crores in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The projects include the dedication of Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya Junction – Son Nagar railway line of Dedicated Freight Corridor, three railway lines whose electrification or doubling has been completed, which are also mentioned below.
- These include Ghazipur city – Aunrihar rail line, Aunrihar- Jaunpur rail line and Bhatni- Aunrihar rail line. These projects have helped in achieving 100 percent electrification of railway lines in Uttar Pradesh.
- He gave the example of the Eastern Dedicated freight corridor, a project for a special track for goods trains. He informed that the project conceived in 2006, did not see even a single kilometre long track till 2014.
- In the last 9 years, a significant part of the project has been completed and goods trains are operating in that area. Now, the new Sonnagar section from Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction has been inaugurated. This will not only increase the speed of goods trains but many new employment opportunities will be created in Purvanchal and Eastern India.
- Underlining the country’s desire for fast-running trains, the Prime Minister informed that even though the Rajdhani Express ran for the first time in the country about 50 years ago, it could run only on 16 routes today.
- He also gave the example of Shatabdi Express which began 30-35 years ago but is currently running on 19 routes only. The Prime Minister highlighted the Vande Bharat Express and informed that the train is running on 25 routes in a short span of 4 years. Banaras has the claim for the country’s first Vande Bharat.
- He informed that two new Vande Bharat Express trains have been flagged off from Gorakhpur on Gorakhpur – Lucknow and Jodhpur – Ahmedabad routes. This Vande Bharat has become such a superhit among the middle class of the country and its demand is only increasing. He expressed confidence that the day is not far when Vande Bharat will connect every corner of the country.
- Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Ms Anandiben Patel, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Yogi Adityanath, Deputy Chief Ministers of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Keshav Prasad Maurya and Shri Brajesh Pathak, Union Minister for Heavy Industries, Shri Mahendra Nath Pandey, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Prof. S. P. Singh Baghel, and Minister of Uttar Pradesh Government among others were present on the occasion.
- The Prime Minister dedicated Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya Junction – Son Nagar railway line of Dedicated Freight Corridor. Built at a cost of more than Rs 6760 crores, the new line will facilitate faster and more efficient movement of goods.
- He also dedicated to the nation three railway lines whose electrification or doubling has been completed at a cost of more than Rs 990 crores. These include Ghazipur city – Aunrihar rail line, Aunrihar- Jaunpur rail line and Bhatni- Aunrihar rail line. These projects have helped in achieving 100 percent electrification of railway lines in Uttar Pradesh.
- The projects whose foundation stones were laid by the Prime Minister include the construction of 3 two-lane rail over bridge (ROB) near Chaukhandi, Kadipur and Hardattpur railway stations; the construction of Vyasnagar – Pt. Deendayal Upadhyay Junction rail flyover; and construction and renovation of 15 PWD roads. These projects will be developed at a cumulative cost of about Rs 780 crores.
Source: PIB- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Central Railway