Indian Railways undertakes surveys for new lines including elevated railway track/corridor having a total length of 19,307 km which are in different stages of progress in Indian Railways.
- Presently, 211 surveys for New Lines across Indian Railways including elevated railway track/corridor having a total length of 19,307 km have been taken up and are in different stages of progress in Indian Railways.
- As on 01.04.2022, across Indian Railways, 183 New line projects of total length 20,937 Km including elevated railway track/corridor, costing approx. Rs 4.0 lakh crore are in different stages of planning/sanction/execution, out of which 2,831 Km length has been commissioned and an expenditure of approx. Rs 1.13 lakh crore has been incurred upto March, 2022.
- Zone-wise details of all ongoing Railway Projects including cost, expenditure and outlay are made available in public domain on Indian Railways website i.e. www.indianrailways.gov.in> Ministry of Railways> Railway Board> about Indian Railways> Railway Board Directorates> Finance (Budget)> Rail Budget/Pink Book (year)> Railway-wise Works, Machinery and Rolling Stock Programme (RSP).
- Presently, two elevated railway corridors of Kolkata Metro are operational. The details are as under:
|S. No.||Name of Corridor||Length (km)|
|1||Dumdum-Belgachia (1.10 km), Dakshineshwar-Dumdum (6.38 km), Mahanayak Uttam Kumar-Kavi Subhas (8.16 km) part of the North-South Corridor.||15.64|
|2||East West Corridor (Salt Lake Sec V-Salt Lake Stadium)||5.80|
- The height of elevated railway tracks/corridors varies from place to place depending on site conditions, obligatory points etc.
- This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronic & Information Technology, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha.
Source: PIB- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR