Jindal Stainless supplied approximately 600 metric tonnes of stainless steel for the 17 km priority section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS, including the air-conditioned Namo Bharat 11 train sets inaugurated by Prime Minister Modi. Jindal Stainless provided stainless steel to Alstom for developing technologically advanced and state-of-the-art train sets for this project.
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi recently flagged off the first Namo Bharat train, made of stainless steel, connecting Sahibabad to Duhai Depot, in a momentous step in inaugurating India’s first RRTS corridor in the country.
Nearly 600 metric tonnes of world-class 301LN stainless steel grade in finishes 2J & 2B were supplied to Alstom for the 11 train sets, which consist of 66 coaches. Several components, including sidewall skins, brackets, end walls, sole bars, cantrails, roofs, and under-frames, are being developed using stainless steel.
Development with Environmental Consciousness:
- In an era of environmental consciousness and innovation, the Namo Bharat Trains are spearheading a revolution in rail travel with their groundbreaking sustainable stainless-steel design.
- These trains represent a significant leap forward in the transportation industry by setting new standards for eco-friendliness and efficiency.
- The stainless-steel-made coaches not only ensures durability and longevity but also significantly reduces the carbon footprint of rail travel, making it an environmentally responsible choice for the future.
The priority section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) Corridor, marking a significant leap in India’s public transportation infrastructure. The 17 km priority section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor that was inaugurated will connect Sahibabad to ‘Duhai Depot’ with stations at Ghaziabad, Guldhar, and Duhai along the way. The foundation stone for the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor was laid by the Prime Minister on March 8, 2019.
Commenting on the inauguration of Namo Bharat Trains, Managing Director of Jindal Stainless, Mr. Abhyuday Jindal, said, “Another feather in our cap in our 25-year association with the government in railways. Proud to have supplied stainless steel for India’s first Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS)”.
Key Features of RRTS train sets:
- As India’s first semi-high-speed regional train sets, the RRTS train sets will operate at 160 km/hour, reducing the commute time between Delhi and Meerut by approximately 40%. Stainless Steel provides the best-in-class safety for passengers and enables the development of lightweight, energy-efficient train sets.
- In addition, stainless steel offers a high strength-to-weight ratio. As a ‘green metal,’ stainless steel provides a low life cycle cost and is an optimal raw material for developing long-lasting sustainable solutions for modern railway infrastructure in the country. Jindal Stainless is currently supplying high-strength stainless steel grades like 301LN and 304L in LT, MT, HT & DLT configurations for metro and railway coaches.
The company’s products have been approved by major metro coach manufacturers like Alstom and BEML. The company has previously supplied stainless steel for metro projects in Sydney and Queensland, as well as Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, and Chennai metros. It is noteworthy that Jindal Stainless is among the top few companies in the world that can supply 2J and No. 4 special finishes required for metro and railway coaches.
The implementation of advanced technology and materials like stainless steel, in collaboration with industry leaders such as Jindal Stainless, will demonstrate India’s commitment to building a world-class railway infrastructure that is environmentally responsible and passenger-centric.
Namo Bharat Trains are poised to transform the way we think about rail travel, offering passengers a comfortable and eco-conscious journey while simultaneously contributing to a greener and more sustainable planet.
Source: JSL- Press Release | Images Credit: JSL