AFC-PC gates are being installed at the concourse level of Mahakaran Metro station for Automatic Fare Collection and Passenger Control. At this station, a total eighteen (18) AFC-PC gates will be installed for the benefit of the Metro users.
- Construction works of most of the stations between Howrah Maidan to Esplanade stretch of East-West Metro of Kolkata Metro are almost complete. Now electrical, beautification and other miscellaneous works are going on in full swing and also nearing completion. Target has been set to open this stretch for commercial run by this year-end.
- Once that is done then for the first time in the country, Metro will start to ply under any river, making all Indians proud of it. Commuting from Howrah to Esplanade will be a cakewalk and Howrah and Kolkata, these century-old twin cities will be connected under the river Hooghly by Metro services.
- A major progress towards meeting that target has been achieved as AFC-PC gates are being installed at the concourse level of Mahakaran Metro station for Automatic Fare Collection and Passenger Control.
- At this station, a total of eighteen (18) AFC-PC gates will be installed for the benefit of the Metro users. Out of these, ten (10) gates will be bi-directional which will enable station staff to control and change the direction of passenger movement during peak hours.
- Such flexibility will enable commuters to enter/exit smoothly into/from the paid area of Mahakaran Metro station premises. Out of these ten (10) bi-directional gates, two (02) will be earmarked for wheelchair-bound passengers.
- Common passengers will also be able to use these two (02) gates. Out of the remaining eight (08) gates, four (04) each will be dedicated only for entry and exit of passengers separately.
- All these heavy-duty modern AFC-PC gates will ensure free flow of commuters at Mahakaran Metro station, going to be one of the most important stations of East-West Corridor which will see the rush of office goers on weekdays.
- These modern gates can handle 45 passengers per minute. Passengers will be able to punch their Metro Tokens or Smart Cards at these gates. These gates also have QR code scanners embedded so that passengers having QR code based tokens will be able to enter/exit this station through these gates easily.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro