Kolkata Metro’s services are likely to start on the entire East-West Metro or Green Line route in June, 2024. At present the section from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade is almost ready for the commercial service and trial runs on this stretch are being conducted regularly.
East-West Metro or Green Line of Amar Kolkata Metro is going to change the transport scenario of Kolkata and its twin city Howrah. Already services are running on Salt Lake Sector V to Sealdah stretch of this Corridor successfully.
Passengers coming from suburbs are availing comfortable Metro services from Sealdah station now. Very soon passengers of suburban areas will be able to enjoy Amar Kolkata Metro services from another iconic station of Indian Railways i.e. Howrah.
In order to make the dream of a comfortable and fast Metro service under the river Hooghly a reality, every possible step is being taken. At present the section from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade is almost ready for the commercial service and trial runs on this stretch are being conducted regularly. Shri P. Uday Kumar Reddy, General Manager, Metro Railway has also been monitoring the progress of the work on a regular basis.
- Due to some unfortunate occurrences during the construction of underground cross passages at Bowbazar, on the 2.5-km long stretch in between Sealdah and Esplanade stations disasters have struck.
- As a result, the progress of this project has been affected.
- But now the problem has been resolved without compromising passengers’ safety and the trial run in between Esplanade and Sealdah is likely to start in the beginning of the next year.
- If everything goes according to the plan then passenger services on the entire stretch of East-West Metro from Howrah Maidan to Salt Lake Sector V may start in June 2024.
- In order to mitigate the problem at Bowbazar, necessary steps are being taken without compromising with the passengers’ safety.
- Kolkata Metro Railway Corporations Ltd. (KMRCL) had submitted an alternative plan which has been approved by the Fire Department of West Bengal.
Shri Kausik Mitra, Chief Public Relations Officer, Metro Railway has informed, “The remaining work at Bowbazar will be completed at the earliest. In the beginning of the next year the trial run in between Sealdah and Esplanade may likely start. It is expected that commercial services from Salt Lake Sector V to Howrah Maidan will start in June, 2024.”
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): Kolkata Metro