Daily footfalls in East-West Metro (Green Line) crossed 50,000 marks yesterday on 04th February, 2023. Since its inception, Green Line has been one of the preferred modes of transport in Kolkata Metro.
- More and more Commuters, coming from the suburbs, have been availing the Metro from Sealdah to reach their destinations in Salt Lake. As a result, footfalls in this line have been increasing steadily.
- For the convenience of the book lovers willing to visit 46th International Kolkata Book Fair, at Boimela Prangan, Salt Lake, additional Metro services are being run on this Corridor from 30th January to 12th February,2023. Services are also being run on Sundays during the Book Fair.
- Welcoming this initiative of the Metro authorities, Book Fair goers are using these additional services, available till 22.00 hrs for their convenience. They have conveyed thanks to Metro authorities for providing Metro services at a 12 mins interval during peak hours.
- Earlier at the time of returning from Kolkata Book Fair, book lovers with books in hands had to take overloaded buses or app cabs. Now as Metro has come forward with the last train at 21.40 hrs from Salt Lake Sector V, book lovers are less worried about returning homes.
- As a result, Green Line has registered 51,263 footfalls on 04.02.2023. This is the first time that passenger count has crossed 50,000 in this Corridor. Looking at this trend, it is expected that footfalls in East-West Metro will increase more in the coming days.
About East-West Metro Kolkata:
- East-West Metro Corridor of Kolkata is a fully Central Government funded project, which will run from Salt Lake Sector V to Howrah Maidan, a stretch of 16.6 kms having 12 stations in-between. East-West Metro corridor was inaugurated on 13.02.2020 and was opened to the public on 14.02.2020 with six newly constructed state of the art Metro Stations from Salt Lake Sector V to Salt Lake Stadium.
- Later on 04.10.2020, it was further extended upto Phoolbagan Metro Station, a total of 6.97 Kms. The 8th Metro station of East-West Metro, i.e.Sealdah Metro will be inaugurated on 11.07.2022.
- In the Union Budget 2022-2023, Metro Railway has been allocated a whopping amount of Rs.1380.06 Cr for execution of on-going and new projects and for safety and infrastructure augmentation work. Different on-going Metro Railway projects in Kolkata and adjoining areas have been progressing smoothly and nearing completion at a super fast pace.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Kolkata Metro