- Scaffolding works of the station and platform roof are currently going along with the covering of the roof with PVC sheets. The installation work of escalators from Concourse to Platform area is also going in full swing.
- The beautification work with murals, paintings etc has also started. The floors will be covered with granite and that work is also nearing completion.
- The work of entry/exit points is also going on. For the benefit of passengers, lifts have also been installed. It is expected that all these works will be over very shortly.
About Kolkata Metro:
- Metro Railway, Kolkata is the first underground metro in India. It extends from Dakshineswar to Kavi Subhash Metro station near Garia, on the busy North-South axis of Kolkata over a length of 31.365 Kms. with 26 Stations & 15.70 Kms. of underground section.
- Based on traffic studies, the Dum Dum – Tollygunge corridor was first selected for implementation and work started on 29th December, 1972. The first metro line in India was accomplished on 24th October 1984, a stretch of about 3.4 km between Esplanade and Bhowanipur (Netaji Bhavan), thrown open for the Public.
- The Metro Railway, Kolkata was constructed progressively from 1972 to 2021. In Phase-I, a length of 16.45 Kms from Dum Dum to Tollygunge (Mahanayak Uttam Kumar) accomplished in 1995 and in Phase-II a length of 5.834 Kms from Mahanayak Uttam Kumar to Kavi Nazrul Metro station is accomplished in August, 2009.
- In October 2010, Metro services further extended up to Kavi Subhash, a length of 2.851 Kms. It further extended Dum Dum to Noapara, a length of 2.091 Kms, on 10th July 2013. The last leg was opened on 23rd February 2021 for commercial operation from Noapara to Dakshineswar (4.139 Kms).
- It extended in the East-West axis from Salt Lake Sector-V to Salt Lake Stadium, covering a length of 5.3 kms with 6 stations on 13th February 2020 and further extended from Salt Lake Stadium to Phoolbagan on 4th October 2020 (1.67 kms). It is further extended from Phoolbagan to Sealdah (2.33 kms) on 11th July 2022.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro