On the occasion of ‘National Energy Conservation Day’, Lucknow Metro has been awarded with the ‘Energy Conservation Award 2021’ by Honourable Union Minister for Power and New and Renewable Energy’s Shri Raj Kumar Singh at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- In the esteemed presence of Chief Guest Shri Krishan Pal, Hon’ble Union Minister for Power and Heavy Industries, and Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Power Shri Alok Kumar (IAS), Shri Abhay Bhakhre-Director General, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Shri Vivek Kumar Dewagan, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Power and other dignitaries; the award was given for the effective and efficient usage of available resources in the ‘Metro Railways-Energy Conservation Category’.
- The initiatives by Lucknow Metro have substantially reduced carbon footprints, leaving a green impression in its wake.
- Lucknow Metro has been championing an environment-friendly approach towards development since its inception, which has now been highlighted by virtue of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency.
- The Lucknow Metro corridor is completely equipped with 100% LED lighting and all stations along with the metro rakes have these installations which effectively save a substantial amount of power and energy.
- Besides, the metro rakes are designed with regenerative braking technology, which also helps to cut down on electricity usage.
- This high-tech rolling stock aids in saving up to 35% of energy, when compared to traditional systems.
- Reportedly, Lucknow Metro has also employed this regenerative braking system across lifts, which contributes to saving 34% of energy, across the installed elevator systems.
Lucknow Metro Uses Solar Plants as Alternative Energy:
- Lucknow Metro is moving towards more sustainable energy features.
- To achieve its goals, various innovative modern technologies and initiatives have been adopted.
- Lucknow Metro has identified the best available technologies and practices to reduce energy consumption and increasing energy efficiency in the metro system.
- Apart from incorporating energy efficient technologies, there are also plans, to lessen our dependency on utility grid.
- Renewable energy projects like 1MW, 20KW and 12 KW roof top solar power plants have been commissioned at Depot, RSS Building and Administrative Building of Lucknow Metro.
- Rooftop solar power plant on elevated stations is under planning and to be commissioned in near future.
- The UP Metro Rail Corporation has planted a total of 1.38MW solar units as yet.
- This ensures a supply of 30 lakh units of alternative electricity, annually.
- The usage of solar power helps to lower the carbon footprints of UPMRC’s project and this energy resource is also notably more cost-effective than grid-derived electricity.
Expressing happiness and satisfaction for getting this award, Shri Kumar Keshav, MD, UPMRC said that ‘’UPMRC is firm in its commitment of implementing the green initiatives and safeguarding the environment. The credit also goes to the highly hard working and dedicated team of UPMRC whose innovative manoeuvres led to this accomplishment. Driven by the strong urge to bring down the carbon foot print and prevent the usage of excessive resources; we have incorporated such ‘Green Innovative Solutions’ in Agra and Kanpur Metro Rail Projects’’.
Concluding his words he said, ‘’I congratulate the whole team of UPMRC stationed in Lucknow for winning this accolade. With such a great potential to make innovation in this sector, we will continue our endeavours in this direction and harness environment friendly technologies to ensure a sustainable future for the villages, towns and cities”.
Source: UPMRC-Press Release