South Eastern Railway has taken major steps for Asset Maintenance works during lockdowns. In train movement, maintenance works of rail tracks, minor and major railway bridges, level crossing overhauling, renewal of sleepers, painting of rails in corroded areas, greasing of joints, raising of lines, railway bridge rehabilitation works, renewal of crossings, road safety works are the most important part of the infrastructure providing a guided path for the wheels to move and carry the massive loads.
- The rail routes of South Eastern Railway have high density of freight and passenger trains.
- A large number of Mail/Express, Passenger and Goods trains are running over them daily.
- Monitoring and assets maintenance is continuous process.
- South Eastern Railway is taking all possible steps in the asset maintenance works in every areas of its jurisdiction.
- Maintenance work of as many as 58 major bridges has been completed.
- Altogether 1578 numbers of points and crossings and 767 curves have been thoroughly inspected by railway engineers.
- Considering the on-going monsoon season, monitoring and maintenance of Railway Bridges has been taken special care of.
- The other works viz level crossing gates overhauling, renewal of sleepers, raising of platforms, road safety works, Foot Over Bridge girdering, renovations of stations toilets etc have been done during lockdowns.
- Teams of railway engineers are working round the clock to keep safe, secured and well-maintained railway track.
- Engineering Departmentof SER has laid emphasis on railway track maintenance and renewal works.
- These lengthy and massive railway assets maintenance works are supervised and maintained by Engineers, Section Engineers,Track-men having vast experience of keeping tracks in good and safe condition.
- In the wake of COVID-19 pandemic resulting lockdowns, South Eastern Railway has been running a number of Parcel Express Trains for uninterrupted supply of essential commodities and pharmaceuticals to reach out to the people across the country.
- In this situation, South Eastern Railway men and Engineers have been engaged in maintenance works wearing face masks and maintaining social distancing during the assets maintenance activities for smooth and safe running of SER’s Parcel Express Trains, Special Trains and for readiness to run more trains.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release