The Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra State, Shri Eknath Shinde, visited and took a review of the on-going work of Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 corridor at Vidhan Bhavan and Churchgate metro stations of package- 1. Shri S.K. Gupta, Director (Projects), MMRC briefed Hon’ble Chief Minister on project progress.
- The Hon’ble CM interacted with the MMRC officials and engineers to get a sense of the on-going project and expressed satisfaction about the project.
- Hon’ble Chief Minister congratulated the team of Metro Line-3 for their hard work & handling challenges effectively. He said work is happening on war footing & we are positive the first Phase from Aarey to BKC will be commissioned by year end and we will provide all support the team shall require.
- Vidhan bhavan station has achieved 88% progress while overall progress achieved by Churchgate is 83% as on date. Once completed both stations will prove as a boon for the office goers.
Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 Corridor:
Mumbai Metro Line-3:
- Mumbai Metro Line-3 (Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ) is the first and only fully underground metro proposed for Mumbai. Metro-3 is a key project to improve and facilitate transportation in the city of opportunities.
- Metro-3 will cater to 17 lakh passengers daily by 2031 with an unfailing frequency of 3-4 minutes, ferrying approximately 2500 passengers at a time.
All About Metro Line – 3:
- Total length – 33.5 Km (Fully Underground)
- Stations – 27 (26 Underground + 1 at grade)
- Commute from Colaba to SEEPZ within 1 hour
- Connectivity to 6 major business and employment centres including Nariman Point, Cuffe Parade, Fort, Lower Parel, BKC and SEEPZ/MIDC
- Easy access to over 30 educational institutes, 13 hospitals, 14 religious places and over 30 recreational facilities
- To provide connectivity to the areas hereto not connected with suburban rail like Kalbadevi, Girgaon, Worli, International and Domestic Airports.
- It will integrate with other Metros, Monorail, Suburban Rail and ST Bus Services and will also reduce congestion on suburban railways by 15%
- Metro-3 will have Platform Screen Doors and Emergency evacuation facility at every station.
- Employment generation: 15000 jobs during construction and 2000 Jobs post construction.
- First time in India we are using a high vibration attenuation track system which will ensure safety of the buildings on ground and comfortable journey to passengers.
- The train is equipped with Driverless technology which will help to achieve prompt and uninterrupted services.
- Regenerative braking will result in saving about 30% of electric energy and will also reduce wear and tear of wheels, brake blocks etc.
- MMRC has rehabilitated a total of 2858 families affected by the Metro-3 project.
- The stations will also be equipped with automatic fare collection machines for contactless revenue collection. Passengers can also avail the facility of National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) which will facilitate seamless travel on all metro routes.
- Metro Line-3 will lead to reduction in vehicular trips by 6.65 Lakh/day by 2041
- Reduced fuel consumption – 3.54 lakh litres/day by 2041
- The corridor will reduce 2.61 lakhs tonnes CO2 emissions per annum. (Source: UNFCC)
- 35% reduction in traffic on road
- Reduction in noise pollution
Phase I – Aarey to BKC:
- No. of stations – 10 (9 underground + 1 at grade)
- Distance – 12.44 Kms
- Frequency – 6.5 mins
- No. of trains for phase I- 9 trains
- Overall Progress – 87.2%
- Overall Civil works – 97.8%
- Overall station construction – 93%
- Overall Systems works – 65.1%
- Track works – 86.3%
- Service trial expected to commence by October 2023
- CMRS testing expected to complete by December 2023
- Although it is very challenging to complete the work to roll out Phase-I of Metro3, we are committed to commence the Phase-I of Metro-3 by December 2023
Phase II – BKC to Cuffe Parade:
- No. of stations – 17
- Distance – 21.35 Kms
- Frequency – 63.2 mins
- No. of trains for phase 2 – 22
- Overall Progress – 76.9%
- Overall Civil works – 95.3%
- Overall station construction – 88.3%
- Overall Systems works – 42.4%
- Track works – 46.6%
- Expected to commence by June 2024
Current Status of the project (As on 8th May 2023):
- Overall project progress – 81.5%
- Overall civil works – 92.8%
- Overall station work – 89.8%
- Overall system work – 50.9%
- Track Works – 61.1%
- Tunnelling 100% completed
- Total 42 breakthroughs achieved out of 42
- Depot Works – 63% completed
- Extensive work is being carried out at Aarey depot by different contractors in close coordination. Maintenance and workshop building works, Operational Control Centre (OCC), OHE (Overhead Equipment), MEP (Mechanical Electrical Plumbing) works, stabling line, auxiliary substation, wash plant, track laying work is ongoing at the Aarey car depot. Although the work is very challenging, team MMRC is working hard to achieve the target on time.
Mumbai Metro Line-3 Trains:
- Metro-3 will have 31 Trains each of 8 coaches by 2024.
- Till date we have received 3 set of trains
- Two more trains have already left from the manufacturing unit at Sri City, Andhra Pradesh and are expected to arrive in Mumbai by 17/18 May 2023. Thereafter, MMRC will receive two trains each month.
Source: MMRCL- Press Release | Images Credit: MMRCL